AQAD40B crankshaft oil seal?

jerama88

Cadet
Hi, I have a small leak from my around front crankshaft pulley. I have the manual and it explains how to remove and install. It doesn't mention anything around any seal or lip seal between the timing cover and the pulley or hub.? Is there a seal and is it accessible with out removing timing cover? The special tool required to remove polygon hub is that a must? Would this leak have any thing to do with vibration issue when turning the 280 leg or would this be a different thread again and another drama?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQAD40B crankshaft oil seal?

Has nothing to do with the vibration.
You do need a 3 bolt puller, it doesn't have to be the Volvo puller. DO NOT use a slide hammer or pry bars.

It doesn't mention anything around any seal or lip seal between the timing cover and the pulley or hub.?

Not sure I follow your question, there is the lip seal #22 in the picture that seals on the polygonal hub. There is no seal on the poly hub to the crankshaft if that is what you are referring to.

8296_1.png

jerama88

Cadet

Thanks heaps Don, excellent @ the vibration as I started another thread any way and it sounds like U joints..

Yeah kind of Don...I was thinking there must be some kind of seal to seal oil coming out from timing cover @ the shaft..but I see now # 22 on the timing gears page on Volvo website..

Silly question maybe but..remove pulley(5 bolts) remove big bolt(crank shaft) remove polygon hub with pullers, then I will have access to seal? Dig it out and replace with grease around it? then refit in reverse order? simple as that? ish..haha

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have to heat the poly hub up to 212? put some Moly grease on the seal, and the hub will just slip right on by hand.

jerama88

Cadet

Thanks all.. I have it all apart and you were bang on Don..Found my crank pulley/ vibration damper has a couple of rubber chunks missing,,probably from the oil that has been leaking? Is it a biggie? would I have to replace it.the chunks would only be 40mm long by 5mm deep? Two chunks ..I am wondering if this is a sign its had its day or shall I monitor it over the next 200 hours? What will happen if I leave it?

jerama88

Cadet

This is the pulley I am talking about not the seal or hub..that is all good. In the pulley I can see a rubber ring seperatink 6 bolts holes from belt position..