Closed End Blind Rivet Question

coppcar

Cadet
Hi,

I've spent the evening pouring over discussions regarding the use of Closed End Blind Rivets for replacing loose rivets. Those that recommend them say to get the steel mandrel type. If you had to remove that rivet in the future, drilling the rivet out would likely result in an elongated hole because the drill is going to walk to the outside of that mandrel, would it not? Thoughts? Boat has a floor, therefore I'm very motivated to use something like the closed end rivet.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Closed End Blind Rivet Question

To prevent elongated or irregular shaped holes when drilling out either solid or blind rivets grind the rivet head off and punch the body of the rivet out with a center punch.

I like the steel mandrel blind rivets because of their strength, but the aluminum mandrel rivets work well too.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

To prevent elongated or irregular shaped holes when drilling out either solid or blind rivets grind the rivet head off and punch the body of the rivet out with a center punch.

I like the steel mandrel blind rivets because of their strength, but the aluminum mandrel rivets work well too.

Been looking at the blind rivets myself for different things. Knowing how rivets (pop type) work does the remaining steel popped head that stays in the rivet rust after a while and looks bad? That is one issue I was think about using them. It would seem the remaining steel portion would rust and show up with that rust in the center of the aluminum rivet then... Don't know but just wondering...

Bondo

Staff member

Been looking at the blind rivets myself for different things. Knowing how rivets (pop type) work does the remaining steel popped head that stays in the rivet rust after a while and looks bad? That is one issue I was think about using them. It would seem the remaining steel portion would rust and show up with that rust in the center of the aluminum rivet then... Don't know but just wondering...

Ayuh,... They sure will, which is Why I only use All Aluminum closed end pop-rivets...

I've never had an issue with strength either...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,... They sure will, which is Why I only use All Aluminum closed end pop-rivets...

I've never had an issue with strength either...

Thanks Bond-o. I figure they would... I only posted that question here in this comment section because it was suggesting different rivets for the OP to use and I thought the question was appropriate and would provide additional info for him/her, not trying to hi-jack the comment...

coppcar

Cadet

Thank you for the suggestions.

Are you using 3/16" closed end rivets with an aluminum mandrel? Posts here say to use 1/4" rivets. 1/4" CE rivets with aluminum mandrels don't seem to exist.

Reason Perhaps?: Aluminum mandrel will break off sooner than a steel one and therefore an aluminum mandrel is not capable of pulling a 1/4" rivet tight. That might be something to consider too. I'm getting dizzy!! If there wasn't a floor in the boat, this wouldn't be a problem.

What lengths do you typically use on an aluminum boat?

Bondo

Staff member

Thank you for the suggestions.

Are you using 3/16" closed end rivets with an aluminum mandrel? Posts here say to use 1/4" rivets. 1/4" CE rivets with aluminum mandrels don't seem to exist.

Reason Perhaps?: Aluminum mandrels will break off sooner than a steel one and therefore an aluminum mandrel is not capable of pulling a 1/4" rivet tight. That might be something to consider too. I'm getting dizzy!! If there wasn't a floor in the boat, this wouldn't be a problem.

What lengths do you typically use on an aluminum boat?

Ayuh,... I use the 3/16" all aluminum rivets,... Never had a hole big enough for a 1/4"....

Even though the aluminum mandel ain't as strong as the steel, it's plenty strong enough to set the rivets,..
3/16ths" anyways...

I bought abunch of 1/4" grab,... plenty long enough for my tinboats...

coppcar

Cadet

Thank you for the great answer Bond-o! :)

coppcar

Cadet

Bond-o,

Do you use a coating of 3M5200 or something on the rivet before you set it? If so, what do you use? I think your help today has done more for me that reading posts for hours last night and I value your opinion on this last question. Thank you again!!

coppcar

SigSaurP229

Commander

5200 around the rivet seals it up perfectly everytime.

Bondo

Staff member

Bond-o,

Do you use a coating of 3M5200 or something on the rivet before you set it? If so, what do you use? I think your help today has done more for me that reading posts for hours last night and I value your opinion on this last question. Thank you again!!

coppcar

Ayuh,... I have before on a Problem area, but think it's overkill if it Ain't a problem spot...

It's to darn Messy normally speakin'.... ;)