Best fishfinder for $200.00 (what do you guys use)?

jldean23

Seaman Apprentice
I have been looking for a good fishfinder and cant seem to find one, tried to google best fish finder under 200 and they are all old reviews 08,09 and one 2010. Grey scale or color doesnt matter i will be fishing for cats and striper, bass. I would just like a fishfinder that really shows fish and structure. One is a humminbird 561 DI or a 346c DI were these are new there is no youtube videos of them in action on the water hopefully one of you guys has one. Another is a Lowrance mark-4 di i think I really dont know which one is a good one.

This will be used in a river in shallow water 2-30 ft thanks guys..

Had to edit one that i seem to really like is a lowrance mark 5x pro seems to be the best out off the bunch hope someone has one.....Thanks

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best fishfinder for $200.00 (what do you guys use)?

i just ordorderd garmin echo 200 with the speed censor for under 200,.......

Star

Chief Petty Officer

I own an old Garmin GPSmap 398 and I find the fish finder side very weak. I am sure that they have improved in the last 6 years. The maps and other functions are wonderful. I have hammered it over the years and it keeps on working. The hummys are much better at tracing fish. Color is much better for detail, you are going to have this for a while so spend more and enjoy it! Buy last years model and get more features.

fishrdan

Admiral

Check out Humminbird's 570 DI, just a bit over $200, but better resolution than the 561 DI. 570 DI is last years model, replaced by the 571 DI, don't remember what the difference was, but I bought the 570 DI since it was cheaper.....

Humminbird's DI combo unit's (56X-57X-58X) are pretty cool as you can switch between DI and fish finer mode, or run both in split screen. I swap back and forth as a fish in DI mode shows up as a dot, which is kind of hard to decipher until you get used to it. If I'm not searching for structure, I leave it in fish finder mode as it's easier to see fish. I looked hard at Lowrance as I've owned a bunch of Eagle/Lowrances in the past, but Lowrance doesn't have the combo DI/fish finder units in the $200 range......

Go down to the sporting goods store and play with them.

jldean23

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help lol i have been watching many many videos searched 100s of reviews i was looking at the Di units and the lowrance mark-5 pro but lastnight i ordered a garmin echo 500c. It is color has good resolution strong transducer and from videos you can watch lines of the actual fish moving it will even pick up a 1/16 oz jig you can watch it bounce and even watch the line which is the fish move up to hit it, it marks fish really well and of the reviews ppl say it really marks the fish it is not just garbage on the screen it shows bottom real well cant wait to try it. And you can change screen to a dark blue and the fish when marked are a bright red with the arch. Plus i got the unit shipped and all for $212.00 or could have got a re-manufactured one for $190.00 cabelas and even ebay are $249.00 once i get it running perfect i will try to make a good video on youtube..

If any of you guys have this one chime in tell me how you like it...

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

Mine should be in soon also, so I to will come back here and let you fellas know how it works....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Garmin decided a few years that it would produce a sonar to rival Furuno's dominance in the industry. On track, Garmin released it's first CHIRP technology sonar last year. CHIRP blows the doors off traditional sonar. Like day and night. While a full CHIRP system is expensive, you should start to see the some of the benefits of the development trickle down to some it is lower cost units with impressive results.

MN Sun

Cadet

I really liked the Humminbird PiranhaMax 190c I had on my 14' Lund. Color clarity was excellent and almost infinite...made it very easy to see what the bottom was made up of. Also read structure very well.

I've upgraded since then (boat as well) but I would not hesitate to recommend this finder to anyone. They can be had, if you shop around, for about $179. Great entry into the world of color electronics.

-MN