1975 mercruiser outdrive

william haynes

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1975 Sea Ray with a pre alpha outdrive I am having trouble with. When I try to raise the outdrive, it only comes up a quarter of the way. I disconnected the trim cylinders from the outdrive and put a rope beneath the trim cylinders to keep them level. When I press the two up buttons the rams start coming out then stop. I keep pressing the up buttons and hear a bang. The trim cylinder has broken at the aft end of the cylinder where the two hydraulic lines are and where the aft end of the cylinder screws on. This is the second one this has happened to. Getting expensive. Is there an adjustment that I am missing. Any help will be appreciated. Bill

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1975 mercruiser outdrive

I have a 1975 Sea Ray with a pre alpha outdrive I am having trouble with. When I try to raise the outdrive, it only comes up a quarter of the way. I disconnected the trim cylinders from the outdrive and put a rope beneath the trim cylinders to keep them level. When I press the two up buttons the rams start coming out then stop. I keep pressing the up buttons and hear a bang. The trim cylinder has broken at the aft end of the cylinder where the two hydraulic lines are and where the aft end of the cylinder screws on. This is the second one this has happened to. Getting expensive. Is there an adjustment that I am missing. Any help will be appreciated. Bill

Ayuh,.... You have an MC-1 drive, there ain't no Pre-alpha....

I'm guessin' here, but exactly where is the controller shifted to when this happens,..??
Reverse by any chance,..??

DonziBob

Recruit
Re: 1975 mercruiser outdrive

I have a mid 70's Merc outdrive and I believe it's a III. Not a Bravo III, just III. Or maybe it's a 'type III', but either way it's a 'pre-Alpha.'