Volvo Penta Ocean Drive Water in Drive oil resevior

350 carpediem

Recruit
Hey there, New to the forum. This week end while doing routine MX on the boat I noticed that the port engine drive oil resevior had a brown mliky appearence as opposed to the clear oil in the starboard engine resevior. Obviosly I have water in the drive. The boat is a 2007 Rinker 350 with the infamous Ocean drives all composite and no service required units. The question I have is whether or not the oil can be drained out and the leak fixed or am I looking at a drive replacement? Does anyone know about the repairability of the early composite drives?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta Ocean Drive Water in Drive oil resevior

Volvo stuck the words "Ocean Series" on several different drives in the past 10 years. Do you have a model or serial number of the drive, or a picture?

350 carpediem

Recruit

Volvo stuck the words "Ocean Series" on several different drives in the past 10 years. Do you have a model or serial number of the drive, or a picture?

I believe it is a DXP series, I dont have the serial numbers handy. They were new in 2007.

Don S

Is this the drive you are referring

xdp.jpg

Don S

Thoser are the XDP, came out in 04 ended in 08, in 09 they came out with the new Ocean series called the Ocean X

Ocean drives all composite and no service required units.

Hardly, on either account. It had a composite outer coating over aluminum, and there is no such things as an outdrive that never requires service.
They can be resealed, rebuilt like any other drive.
A major problem with those drives was the ujoint bellows. You couldn't prevent them from leaking. Volvo tried with several upgrades that didn't work very well.

So to answer your question, Yes, the oil can be changed, and leaks can be fixed. If the bellows gets water in it, no matter what you do to the drive, it will get water in it. The front input shaft is not designed to keep water out, only oil in. The bellows was supposed to keep water out. But they couldn't fix that.
Go to the link below with your engine model or serial number and download the owners manual. It will show you how to change the gear lube.
Publication search - Publications / Manuals : Volvo Penta

350 carpediem

Recruit

Don, Thanks a bunch for the info. I have no idea where I got the idea that the drive was a no service unit. I will be pulling her out asap and doing a complete service and bellows replacement on both units. I hope because I am in fresh water, that the gimbal bearings are ok. I purchased the manuals that I need. Ill update you and let you know what I find.
Thanks again for the assistence.
Rusty