How much would you pay?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Been looking for a couple different OMC parts motors the past few months, one is for a 50hp johnson 2 cylinder and the other is is for a 70hp 3 cylinder VRO.

The 50hp that I'm repairing is a good runner that I need to find a few NLA parts for and the 70hp is a nut case that I'm still not sure is worth the time and expense to save.

As to the 50hp I've come across used ones running and not running from $250.00 up to $500.00 asking price for a non-runner! I think $500.00 for a non-running 35 year old engine is nuts.

The 70hp at this point is a putz with engine. The lower unit and exhaust housing are trashed but the powerhead is in great shape so I think I'll just be watching for one with a blown powerhead on this one.

So my question is how much would you spend on a parts engine for either one of these? Of course FREE is always best but I don't see one of those coming soon.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: How much would you pay?

$500 for a running engine (either one of them) would not be out of the question. For a non-runner I've seen a bunch in recent years in the $250 range. I wouldn't pay more than 250, but that's just my opinion.

Put a want ad in the AOMCI.org "webvertize" section. You never know what you mind find. Also, google Laing's Outboards and give him (Jeff) a call. His back room has even more OB's than my back room....LOL. There's a good chance he might even have or be willing to part out the pieces you need.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Sure I agree, I don't see $500.00 for a running engine as being out of the norm but I see a parts engine quite differently. One of the aspects that I look at is I need a few certain parts yet I don't wnat to spend the time and effort to then strip it down to sell off the rest. Too much of that stuff on ebay already that is over priced and doesn't sell. Yet the parts I do need I can't find on ebay at any price.

Already contacted Laings along with tc But it get to where their parts are going to cost what a whole parts motor is.outbaords and a few others. But it's to the point that their parts amount to what a whole parts motor could cost me.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

there was a yammie, 70hp, as a box of parts. it was listed for 60 bucks, it was gone in 5 minutes..

64osby

Admiral

Call around to your local scrap yards. One that I visit has a big pile of old outboards, 50 to 60. I find parts for my little motors really cheap.

look at craiglist for free boats or real cheap piles of junk with a motor then think of it more as paying $100 bucks to get rid of the junk a motor is attached to. a good used motor here is $300 plus and a junk motor is not much less but theres lots of free boats with motors that people just want to get rid off

64osby

Admiral

Didn't save the link but there is a 50 w/ low compression for $225 Milwaukee CL

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well so far I've talked to 5 different local guys and 5 more from the "Top Secret" file Salvage Yards and so far noone has what I need. Other than I just recieved an email from a guy I central Illinois but no prices.

Been spending a lot of time on BRP cross referencing parts compatablity for both engines. Interesting, but can't say it's been fun.

I see the cheapo's and the freebies frequently but I need the parts now for the 50hp or I need to locate another runner. Ice is going out very soon.

The other thing I'm seeing is that people do not know what they have. So many times I find they are off by 10 years on the age of these engines. One guy emailes me that he had a late 70's 50hp only to find that it was a late 60's 3 cylinder 50hp or 60hp.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Didn't save the link but there is a 50 w/ low compression for $225 Milwaukee CL

Seen it. It's a very early 70's with electric shift. Parts I need don't fit. Seen another listed with no spark and hasn't been run in 6 years, wants $500.00, good luck. For that money I can find a runner!

64osby

Admiral

Seen it. It's a very early 70's with electric shift. Parts I need don't fit. Seen another listed with no spark and hasn't been run in 6 years, wants $500.00, good luck. For that money I can find a runner!

Yea, maybe start looking at project boats with running motors.:noidea: