Engine won't start anymore.

kip s

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, here's the story. I took my boat out everything's running fine until some dumba** jet across me and I hit the wave hard. I was only going about 15 mph. I hit the wave hard but everything was ok until I hit about 35 mph then a loud bang and the motor dies ( it didn't do this the last time I took it out). First, I thought I blew the motor but when I try to restart it, it started right back up! But it dies again as I was going at about 15 mph. It goes on and on like this the whole day. Sometimes it even died while idling. It finally quit on me when I decided to go back to the dock. I looked around and noticed the gear lube monitor was low. It was already low before I left home that day I just forgot to fill it up. I checked and noticed it was getting fuel into the carb. So I called my father-in-law to the rescue. He brought me a quart of gear lube and I filled it up. Tried restarting but unsuccessful. The guy who sold the boat to me ( 1 1/2 month ago ), told me that he had drained the old fuel and added fresh fuel into the tank. So I guess my question is, what's the next step or does anybody have this problem before and knows how to fix it? By the way, the motor cranks but no start.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine won't start anymore.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Whatcha workin' on,..?? Motor,..?? Drive,..??

wrench 3

Commander

Drain your water fuel separator into a clean container and see what comes out.

alldodge

Staff member

What wrench 3 says and go back to the basics. Make sure your getting fuel (most probable cause) and make sure it's fuel and not water. Water will sit on the bottom and you may get nothing but. If it sat for a long time there could be who knows what is in the fuel system. I would pull the carb and clean it out. Take your time and be carefuk and you may not need new gaskets right now. If it turns out your carb is all gunked up get a ket and go through it, or get another one. Then check spark, timing and air.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm puttin my money on the fuel filter and or water filter. You might have to drain the carb bowl also.

kip s

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. Here's what i did yesterday before i read any replies. I checked the spark plugs and they look almost brand new. I checked the carb and there were some bits of plastic pieces inside the carb but i vacuumed them out with a small hose.. the fuel looks clean. I believe the pieces came off of the inside of the air filter where the bolt holds the filter assembly. Im still getting fuel to the carb. Tried restarting but still no start. However, i did notice something else different this time. It sounded like it wants to start but it locks up and whitish blue color smoke shoots out the air filter. I tried again several times with same result. The motor still cranks. Is it maybe some of that plastic could have gotten deep inside and clogged the carb? Im kinda new at this and don't wanna take the carb apart unless its absolutely sure its the problem.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Plastic from outside the carb cannot get anywhere inside the carb so whatever you found it not preventing fuel flow. You need to describe the BANG in a little more detail as that can mean anything. Popping back through the carb would indicate something may have come loose in the ignition system. Check for a loose distributor cap or coil. Pull the cap off and see if the rotor has broken or has hit one or more of the distributor cap terminals. Sometimes a loose cap allows that to happen. But otherwise go back to basics as suggested.

1) Verify that you have spark on all cylinders.
2) Verify that fuel squirts into the carb when the throttle lever is pumped.

To me this sounds like an ignition "timing" issue. This is not something that happens with any frequency but it can happen. It may be the hold down clamp for the distributor was loose and the distributor turned a bit thus changing the timing.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

hiya sounds like silvertip hit it on the head to me ???Or a fuel delivery problem make sure shes pumpn fuel ??

wrench 3

Commander

Your original description of the problem still sounds more like water in the fuel. I'm thinking that wake you hit may have stirred up water in the bottom of the tank and it got sucked into the system.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have spark?

kip s

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, i will check for sparks and check fuel filter when i get a chance. Now I like to check the carb but hopefully i wont damage the gasket. Thanks everyone for the tips. I will post with the results.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DO NOT take a carb apart without replacing the gaskets where you take them apart, you're just asking for leaks if you do.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Hmmmm, wonder why he is starting with the hard part first? I have the same engine/od and had the same problem two years ago and guess what...........yep water in the gas. But what the hey, at least he will learn all about his motor before this is all done.

Airshot

kip s

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmmm, wonder why he is starting with the hard part first? I have the same engine/od and had the same problem two years ago and guess what...........yep water in the gas. But what the hey, at least he will learn all about his motor before this is all done.

Airshot

U had the exact same problem? Did u hit a wake and then the motor dies a few seconds later? I read and old post here on iboat about someone who had the exact senario but he didnt post any answers.

kip s

Seaman Apprentice

Fuel filter is about to go. The plastic portion on the filter itself is warped. But it is still a clean filter. I dont kno how to check for water in the fueI. I didnt check for sparks cuss no one to crank it for me plus im not really sure how it is done properly without blowing myself up. Tried restarting it again and almost got it to start but it pops and no luck. Blueish white smoke coming out of the air filter. Maybe u guys hit the mark on the timing and the water in the fuel. I don't have a timing gun and dont know how to check for water in the fuel. Im screwed. Maybe i gotta bring it in for repair lol.

kip s

Seaman Apprentice

I got started this time and stayed on as long as its in gear but as soon as i put it on idle, it dies. It started back up but it has to be on choke 1/4 way forward on the gas. Now when i give a little more gas, it dies. I didnt really do anything. Maybe there is water in the fuel after all.

wrench 3

Commander

If you picked up water, some of it would definitely be in the fuel water separator. If you dumped the filter upside down into a clean container, the water would go to the bottom and the gas would float on top. If it beads up on the sides of the container it's all water and not fuel.

kip s

Seaman Apprentice

If you picked up water, some of it would definitely be in the fuel water separator. If you dumped the filter upside down into a clean container, the water would go to the bottom and the gas would float on top. If it beads up on the sides of the container it's all water and not fuel.

I went ahead and drained all the fuel. I will get some fresh fuel tomorrow. Problem is, i dont know what im gonna do with all this fuel. By the way, i took the fuel filter apart but not sure what a separator looks like. I went ahead and flushed out the fuel filter assembly and pump?