Evinrude 60hp Possible Purchase Questions

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys. Would like some help. Looking at this motor to purchase. The gentleman says it's a 60hp Evinrude, but that is the only info he has on it as far as identifying it. He is going to get me the serial number, but it will be a couple weeks.

Anyone have a guess at the year? I think it is somewhere between a '63-'69. I would like to find out some information on it. Like how much it weighs. He says it is really heavy, but my current 1970 motor is not really that heavy (That is I can lift it by myself).

Also how is finding parts for this year of motor?
Any problem parts or hard to locate parts?

I general is this a year or style of motor you would stay away from (like my 1970's hydroshift ;)), or is it a good motor for tinkering on and reliable like my 1956 30hp Johnson? Thanks for the advice.

GEDC0086.jpgGEDC0085.JPG

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude 60hp Possible Purchase Questions

I forgot to add that at this point I am just deciding on whether or not I want to take the time to drive and run compression and spark tests and check over the condition of the motor. Thanks.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The 60hp was the economical motor back then in the early to mid '60s. 1967 was the last year, but a 65hp was available in '68. It had manual shifting and a belt driven magneto hanging off the back of the cylinder and crankcase. There was no battery charging system unless an accessory generator kit (not alternator) was installed.

If you buy that old motor, be sure the wiring harness, dash panel with keyswitch, and the boat mounted junction box with the starter solenoid is included and in decent shape. Many parts are no longer available for the motor but older dealers may have some around for used parts.

lindy46

Captain

Looks like a mid-60's motor. Those motors were heavy (about 240#) about the same weight as the 75hp of the same year. I had one (1964) on a 14' Glasspar and it didn't perform that much better than the lighter 1960 40hp which I replaced. I think it would do about 5-6mph faster than the 40 and was almost too heavy for the back of that 14' boat.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I am afraid that it is going to be too heavy for my boat. My boat has a max at 921#'s and at 240#'s that only leaves me 681#'s for everything else. With no accessories that is pretty much me, my buddy, and our wives (dry :D).

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, I found this here on I boats that tells different info on weights. Just in case anyone else is interested.
Evinrude Outboards