kill switch problem

blasting45s

Recruit
i have a 83 mercury 18xd outboard, the kill switch wont work. I spliced into the wires on the tiller handle and wired up a toggle switch. I thought this would work but still wont shut off. I may be wrong but I think you have to replace the tiller handle with kill switch. I had to shut off by using choke, I think I have fouled the plugs. It will start but I have no peeing. Wld this cause that problem?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: kill switch problem

Kill switch and water circulation really have no relationship.

The kill switches of which I am aware, ground the triggers in the ignition module; current CDI ignitions. For my engine and a lot of engines, this is a black wire with a yellow stripe. Being an 83 the colors may be different as may be the ignition setup.

I don't know how you wired your switch but you might do this if you haven't already.

Trace the wiring from your current switch. One will be the kill lead and will go to the ignition circuit somewhere...follow the color code.

The other will go to the engine block where the battery - lead is connected.

Your switch has to make that connection and should be a SPST momentary on switch and the momentary on position is where your switch should close the circuit.

Give Laddies a shout. He knows about engines of that era.

Mark

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The motor not pumping water can be very bad and should be looked into quickly. Run a pice of weed eater string up the tell tail hose to see if it is blocked. If it is not blocked then you might want to drop the LU and check the water pump impeller if it has not been replaced in the last two years. If it is bad make sure you get all the pieces of it out of the motor and replace any and all badly warn parts. The kill switch has to go as Mark stated, and dose not have to wire into any other wires already on the motor. It needs to have a wire going to the groud on the block and one to the switchbox on the same terminal as the wire from the tiller goes to. All you should need is the switch and wires long enought to reach those locations. JMO
Oldman570

blasting45s

Recruit

Thanks for all the help. I found the
Black and yellow wire. Do I
Disconnect it and hook it to the mon
On switch and run a wire from
the other terminal to a ground.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

No wires on any terminals need to be moved or cut into . Leave them where they are. You are adding a new switch and new wires to what is already there. You just have to run a new wire from the switch to the same terminal as the black/yellow and a wire to the engine block ground. All the factory functions stay the same as it was, and the new kill switch will work if wired as I stated. It is always a good idea to test the new switch every so often by killing the motor when you put the boat on the trailor at the ramp when leaving. Also remmber that if the motor will not start in the future that the kill switch could be bad and will not let the motor start. JMO
Oldman570

blasting45s

Recruit

I have already cut the wires going to the switch in the
Tiller handle. There is a black and yellow and a black wire.
Since I have already cut these wires can I just hook them
Up to the the the mon on switch?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

You can do that by using the wires as long as they will reach the new switch and have room to hook them up in the terminals. Use a spade or ring terminal to splice the wires back together and put on the new switch. The use of dielectric greesse on the wires and conections will help keep the connections free of corrision and works great. It can be bought at most all auto supply stores in a small tube for the job, and be used for the battery and other connections that might corrode.Oldman570

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have already cut the wires going to the switch in the
Tiller handle. There is a black and yellow and a black wire.
Since I have already cut these wires can I just hook them
Up to the the the mon on switch?

The black/yellow stripe is your kill wire from the ignition. The black wire is ground. Great. Before you do any rewiring, put the wires together and see if it kills the engine. Otherwise you have more work to do before you install your switch.

Mark