steering turns full one way only a little the other

Jamescenterconsole

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, Im new here.Hope this is the right place for this question. I just restored an eighteen foot center console and today I put the motor back on and reinstalled the steering cable. When I tried it out it will turn all the way one wat but just a little past center the other. The motor is free and the cabel turnes both way with the motor unhooked. Do i have to "center" something befor I hook it to the motor. Ive hook and unhooked it severl times still cant figure it out. Any ideas?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: steering turns full one way only a little the other

When the wheel is centered between the "Stops", is the motor center at the same time?
Your helm may be different but about 4 turns "Stop to Stop" is typical.

P.S. Welcome to iboats!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It depends on how the cable is in the helm gearing, the cable has teeth of sorts and if it isn't centered then the motor wont be on center. I have had to pull the cable out of the helm and put it back in and out several times to get a motor on center and the steering wheel on center at the same time.

The wheel travel total should be 4 turns lock to lock but it may be more or less that depends on the brand and so on.

Jamescenterconsole

Seaman Apprentice

I marked the wheel and counted the turns stop to stop. I get two full turns stop to stop. the motor turns all the way to one side (left) and only about a quarter past center the other (right). I did check and the motor is very close to center with the wheel centered. Its like the cable is not comeing out far enough. Does anyone know how far it is supposed to come out of the motor?

UncleWillie

Captain

... I get two full turns stop to stop. the motor turns all the way to one side (left) and only about a quarter past center the other (right)...

2 turns is an unusually small number.
Was that with the motor attached?
If not, somethong is wrong with Helm.

What brand and model helm do you have? (i.e. Teleflex?)
It is time to get specific with the details!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

4 is about the smallest turns I know of to 6 on some.

64osby

Admiral

The range should be 3.2 to 5.7 turns from stop to stop depending on the system. At two there is a problem.

What was it before you removed it?

Is this a tilt tube set up or a support tube set up?

Disconnect it from the motor and see how many turns you get. Then check to see if your motor will move from side to side.

Jamescenterconsole

Seaman Apprentice

OK. I bought the boat used needing a floor and transom. I have not had it in the water....yet. I have restored all the interior wood and glass. As far as I can remember the steering was fine befor I took it off, but that was over a year ago.
-When I had it off I cleaned it up and the cable moved free in and out
-I have a friend of mine measuring the extension of the steering cable on his boat assuming that they are all similar in length this may give me a place to start.
-The wheel turns the same amount of turns with the motor connected or disconnected and the motor is free also.
-Im not sure of the brand of the helm I know that the cabels are telaflex but not sure of the helm. It is a rotery style.
-Where would I look to find the band or maker of the helm?
Ill try to look for a brand as soon as I can.

Thanks for all of the input!

Sorry I forgot to address tilt tube/support tube. I think its a tilt but not exactly sure what the differance is. (steering cable goes through the motor at the pivot point for the tilt, make sense?)

Thanks again!

64osby

Admiral

That's a tilt tube set up.

Sounds like there is a problem with the rotary helm or the cable.

Should be a label or a number on the casing. Pictures work too.

The helm should have about 4 turns. You might try pulling the cable and reinstalling the cable. Test the helm and the cable while they are separated.

64osby

Admiral

No on the rotary unit

Jamescenterconsole

Seaman Apprentice

One more question, is the inner cable supposed to slide out of the outter sheath? When its not connected to the boat

64osby

Admiral

Yes it will. I covered the ends with plastic bags to keep the dirt off.

Jamescenterconsole

Seaman Apprentice

That may be my problem! When I had it off for the restoration it would not seperate. It would slide back and forth but not appart. I assumed that it was not supposed to. I had to knock the crap out of it to get it out of the tube when I removed it the first time. I guess I will have to pull the motor and cable and see if I can get it loose. Ill keep you all posted. I did measue one on another boat and it stuck out about four inches further than mine.

Jamescenterconsole

Seaman Apprentice

Ok that was not my problem! I called the tec dept at teleflex and they told me that their cables do no seperate into two sections (inside come out)if it does the cabel is bad. They also told me that my cabel was bad. They sad the minium distance of travel for a steering cabel is 8 inches. I had about 6 and half max. Just thought I would pass the info along in case someone else has the same problem. They also said it probably happened when I took it out, caued by hitting it with a hammer directly they recomended useing a block of wood to absorb some of the impact. In reallity I dont think it would have come out useing the wood block it was blocked in tight with old greese. Thanks for all of the input it got me moveing in the right direction, you guys are great