Boat Search - Is This A Good Deal?

kvarilek

Cadet
Hey guys. My dad is looking at a deck boat and I thought I would come on here for some feedback as to whether you think it is a decent deal. I told my dad that this is a knowledgeable place and would be a good forum for some feedback. Anyway, here is the listing:

1998 Lowes 2220 deck boat

We have not spoken to the owner yet, thought I would come on here for some feedback or maybe idea's of what questions he should ask. Thanks for any feedback!

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Boat Search - Is This A Good Deal?

According to NADA, it's overpriced. It may also be overpowered.

SigSaurP229

Commander

One it looks overpriced.

I would want to pay extra special attention to this "Dock Rash" and check the hull over very thoroughly for weld patches or any other signs or repair. That lower unit on the motor looks really banged up. I would want to find out why the seals were just done

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks a bit scruffy for the price!

southkogs

Staff member

I kinda' agree - she looks a little worn for the price. Souix City CL ads seem kinda' slim (which may be helping the prices go up). I did a quick look and Omaha looks to have a better selection of boats for sale (that's from the "for what it's worth" department :))

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I look at that ad I picture the boat full of teenage kid partying and ripping up and down the lake towing skiers.
Not the boat I'd want to own. They also don't show the left side of the boat, maybe the 'dock rash' it has would scare off buyers if they showed it.
The lower unit shows lots of signs of being dragged through the sand, although it may be just par for the course where it was being used, its not something I'd like to see on a used outboard.
They've also made no attempt to repaint or hide the damage. At least the attempt to maintain it would make it look like they cared or knew enough about boats to keep it in good shape.
The carpet is well faded, but not worn through, and it is a 15 year old boat, so cosmetically its pretty average, but not good by any means. If it were cheaper, it may be a good deal if you were looking for a bargain but not at that price. There's just too many what if's to consider.

kvarilek

Cadet

Thank you guys for the feedback. You definitely have great points, it looks like we will keep searching.