Will this dual battery setup do what I want it to?

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice
Will this work? Basically I want to use one battery as a trolling motor battery and the other as a starting battery. The two batteries will be separated via a battery kill switch. When the switch is turned on and the batteries are connected will both be recharged by the boat motor? Also do the generators on outboards work like alternators on cars in that they recharge the batteries very quickly? I plan to start doing a lot of camping and I know will run the trolling motor battery down. It would be nice to not have to bring a battery charger and extension cord with me.

Attachments

• dual battery setup.jpg
    dual battery setup.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 0

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Will this dual battery setup do what I want it to?

Your diagram is correct. You may want to use an automatic charge relay instead of the switch. Outboard alternators are normally not as powerful as one on a car or an I/O engine. They will recharge the batteries eventually.
For some very rough numbers:
Assuming you are using group 27 batteries they are about 100 Ah each. If you discharge one to 50% you will need to put back around 50 Ah. Your outboard may be capable of anywhere from 10 to 50 amps or so. It will then take anywhere from 1 to 5 hours to recharge the battery. I don't know if that meets your definition of quickly or not.

switch is not a good idea unless its can carry the same load as the starter (something like a perko dual battery switch). if you flick that switch on and one battery is lower than the other or the switch is left on when you use the starter motor you will see smoke unless the cable can carry a major amount of amps. best to go with a auto transfer relay.

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice

Okay thanks for the help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To determine if this system will actually benefit you, we need to know what engine you have so we have some idea of the output of the alternator. Knowing what thrust the trolling motor has allows us to determine what the actual current draw is. Any alternator will provide a charge to a battery. How much output that alternator has and how discharged the battery is determines how long it takes to charge the battery. You can figure this out using the following example and applying it to your situation.

If the trolling motor is a 50 - 55# thurst unit it will draw about 45 amps maximum for each hour it is run. Since that number is rarely reached and since trollers aren't usually run at fastest speeds continuously, lets use a 23 amp/hr number which also happens to be the rating specification used on deep cycle batteries. Lets also assume you have a group 27 deep cycle battery which will have a reserve capacity of 175 minutes with a current draw of 23 amps. That means your troller would run for just shy of three hours before the battery could no longer deliver 23 amps. Lets also assume the alternator has a maximum output of 23 amps. That means you would have to run your engine wide open for the same period of time (and probably longer) to recharge the troller battery. Keep in mind the alternator also has to supply the other electrical needs of the boat so the recharge time will be much longer. So armed with those numbers you can do your own math to determine if this is a workable solution. I suggest it is not and the external battery charger and extension cord take up so little room and is much more practical.

Bondo

Staff member

Will this work? Basically I want to use one battery as a trolling motor battery and the other as a starting battery. The two batteries will be separated via a battery kill switch. When the switch is turned on and the batteries are connected will both be recharged by the boat motor? Also do the generators on outboards work like alternators on cars in that they recharge the batteries very quickly? I plan to start doing a lot of camping and I know will run the trolling motor battery down. It would be nice to not have to bring a battery charger and extension cord with me.

Nope,... Generally speakin' outboards can barely recharge their own startin' battery...

They generally have anemic chargin' systems...

But, then again, ya don't say What the motor is....