Filler (bondo) question

Strike 1

Cadet
Can a color be added to "bondo" before the hardner is added?<br /> I just refinshed the bottom of a black boat where some areas I sanded came up white and I had a hard time making them disappear.

flashback

Captain
Re: Filler (bondo) question

strike1, bondo is not the product to use on the bottom of a boat. constant submersion will turn it to mush. use an epoxy filler, and yes it can be tinted, but painting it is probably better.

Bondo

Staff member

That's what Primer/Sealer is for......<br />It'll give you a Clean Slate, so the top coat won't show Shadows.....<br /><br />Bondo is a Poly based filler....<br />Epoxy based Is better.... But, I've used bondo with acceptable results, as long as it's Sealed real well with a Quality Paint......

18rabbit

Captain

I also think you will be a lot happier with an epoxy filler, in the long run. Bondo does well with occasional exposure to water, like getting rained on, but not so well with submersion like you application calls for.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

While I agree that a polyester putty will survive if well sealed by at least one ply of fiberglass, it is a poor substitute for an epoxy filler sealed with fiberglass or at least gelcoat.

Strike 1

Cadet

Yes I agree Yall are right I use the term "bondo" loosely.<br /> The filler I use is poly based but never gets wet.<br />This is a two man row boat that we extended about two feet last year. Its about 21 feet now. What we do is make a mold of the bottom, in the middle where the dimentions are the same, and pull the mold off. Then cut the boat in half and pull it apart using a strongback. Then we epoxy the mold to the outside of the bottom overlapping about 8,10 inches on both sides. Then use the filler "bondo" to feather in the piece. I like the poly base because its easier to sand smooth. Its all epxoy from then on. We epoxy a layer of glass in then a layer of epoxy putty (silica), sand it smooth, another layer of glass and putty, sand it smooth then we start with micro ballons until everything disapears. Then 3 or 4 coats of tinted (black) epoxy sanding inbetween coats then buff until we get a nice finish. Then flip it and work on the inside. <br />Now the funny part. After 10 months we get a call the boat is taking on water, I couldn't figure it out. Put the boat in the shop and fliped it and the bottom was all gouged up. I know the guy rows every day, God Bless him, he is in his 60's, so I asked him how he gets the boat out of the water. He said he drags it up onto a wooden dock, and get this, with the other rower still in the boat. Gotta love it.

Bondo

Staff member

Yep, It's Too Bad you Can't bottle Common Sense ,+ Sell It......<br />Reading Some of these posts, I see there's a Real Shortage of it sometimes......