towing eye replacement and problems with trailing in shallow water

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks

newly had my boat going in the water. it is on bunk trailer (2 bunks). there are only one roller at the far back side of the trailer in the center.
when trying it in the first time in a good angled spot in a lake it went easily.
the problem came in the second time in the Mediterranean sea here where there is no suitable spots with concrete angled way down to the water.
so, I came to the water but there is no much angle at all and there is no water depth (i will need to get all the car in the water to get the trailer wheels covered with water-something i will not do ofcourse).
getting the boat down was easier than getting it up. when getting it down we did push the boat abit and it got down eventually. when we tried to get it up it was much harder and eventually we had to release the trailer from the car and get it more in the water so that we can get the boat on it. before that when we tried to pull the boat with the manual winch we did some pressure and the old towing eye on the boat got detached from the boat (broke or something).

2 question: is it correct to assume that adding rollers along the length of the boat could make the whole process easier-considering the shallow water beaches here? is it possible and recommended adding rollers?

second question: i am looking for guiding how to replace the towing eye into something strong. any material?

your help will be deeply appreciated...
sameh

cr2k

Captain
Re: towing eye replacement and problems with trailing in shallow water

Go up in the bow and re enforce with some good plywood and a piece of metal or very large washers. Lots of fiberglass.
One thing that might help loading the boat under these conditions are spray the bunks with silicone prior to loading or at least dumping some water on the bunks to help the boat slide on them.

Where I usually go I back the trailer in to wet the bunks and then pull back out to the right depth to load. I have the luxury of a very long cement ramp so no worries about power loading. (never do this over a "natural" bottom as it will create a large hole at/near the end of the ramp.)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Bunk trailers are popular now because they are cheap to build, but they have limitations in that they work well in a few, but not all, situations--as you have now learned. A roller trailer overcomes most ramp limitations, and a tilt trailer with rollers even better. And a roller trailer can be kept out of the salt water, an important factor to some but not all boaters. Of course, the boat sellers don't care what works best or lasts longest; once it's sold it's not their concern.

So if the ramp(s) you must use are not configured for bunk trailers, you will have to convert to a roller trailer or replace it with one. Bunk trailers simply are not universal.

But first try bunk slicks, adn setting it up so you can get the bow up on the back of the bunks on the rear roller, to get started. Consider a power winch if you can't drive on.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

When everyone mentions silicone spray, are they talking about a product like WD40?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

no, silicone

I think they also sell a product "mase specially for bunks" but I bet it's the same.
I hear dish soap works fine, too.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

First off, how big/heavy is your boat?
I think that when it gets right down to it if you "attempt" to winch your boat on the trailer and pull the bow eye out, you should find a different place to launch.

UncleWillie

Captain

When everyone mentions silicone spray, are they talking about a product like WD40?

Suprizingly enough WD40 makes a Silicone Spray.

You do NOT want to use the common WD40 Lubricating Spray.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi folks

newly had my boat going in the water. it is on bunk trailer (2 bunks). there are only one roller at the far back side of the trailer in the center.
when trying it in the first time in a good angled spot in a lake it went easily.
the problem came in the second time in the Mediterranean sea here where there is no suitable spots with concrete angled way down to the water.
so, I came to the water but there is no much angle at all and there is no water depth (i will need to get all the car in the water to get the trailer wheels covered with water-something i will not do ofcourse).
getting the boat down was easier than getting it up. when getting it down we did push the boat abit and it got down eventually. when we tried to get it up it was much harder and eventually we had to release the trailer from the car and get it more in the water so that we can get the boat on it. before that when we tried to pull the boat with the manual winch we did some pressure and the old towing eye on the boat got detached from the boat (broke or something).

2 question: is it correct to assume that adding rollers along the length of the boat could make the whole process easier-considering the shallow water beaches here? is it possible and recommended adding rollers?

second question: i am looking for guiding how to replace the towing eye into something strong. any material?

your help will be deeply appreciated...
sameh

Ayuh,... Howdy sameh,... Yer retrieving problem is Exactly the reason Tilt bed trailers were invented,...

Rollers might be a big help too, but gettin' the back of the trailer down Low, by raisin' the front of the trailer, lessens the angle of attack, allowin' the bow to ride up the bunks,..

Pictures would be a Huge Help to see what yer seein',...
How "Handy" are ya,..?? got access to a shop,..?? welder,..??

If ya could hinge the tongue from the bed, you can build yer Own tilt bed trailer...

#2,.. What's the hull made of,..?? How big,..?? How heavy,..??

A 1/2" SSteel "U-bolt" is a pretty stout pull point,...

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go up in the bow and re enforce with some good plywood and a piece of metal or very large washers. Lots of fiberglass.
One thing that might help loading the boat under these conditions are spray the bunks with silicone prior to loading or at least dumping some water on the bunks to help the boat slide on them.

Where I usually go I back the trailer in to wet the bunks and then pull back out to the right depth to load. I have the luxury of a very long cement ramp so no worries about power loading. (never do this over a "natural" bottom as it will create a large hole at/near the end of the ramp.)

thanks
adding water or soap is something i hadnot thought of.

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bunk trailer.jpg
Bunk trailers are popular now because they are cheap to build, but they have limitations in that they work well in a few, but not all, situations--as you have now learned. A roller trailer overcomes most ramp limitations, and a tilt trailer with rollers even better. And a roller trailer can be kept out of the salt water, an important factor to some but not all boaters. Of course, the boat sellers don't care what works best or lasts longest; once it's sold it's not their concern.

So if the ramp(s) you must use are not configured for bunk trailers, you will have to convert to a roller trailer or replace it with one. Bunk trailers simply are not universal.

But first try bunk slicks, adn setting it up so you can get the bow up on the back of the bunks on the rear roller, to get started. Consider a power winch if you can't drive on.

thanks for the reply
how could i convert mine to a roller trailer? is that possible?

I am also lacking the english terms for those different rollers: see picture attached for this bunk trialer ( not the one mine, mine has only one roller on the back), you can see 4 rollers. what are they called? and what does the rollers on a roller trailer called? and when converting to a roller system what type do i need of a rollers?

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off, how big/heavy is your boat?
I think that when it gets right down to it if you "attempt" to winch your boat on the trailer and pull the bow eye out, you should find a different place to launch.

the boat is a 17 feet glastron. shoud not weight more than 500 kg at maximum.
the eye was an old one eaten by corrosion and not supported from inside strongly. now i have added from the insde amuch bigger plate that could stand stronger pressure and sits on all the base (22 cmX8 cm) that is created for this purpose (unlik the old onewhich was about 5X5 cm).
what i heared from a friend trialering on the same spot with aroller trailer is that also him cannot put the boat back on trailer unless he seperates the trailer from the car, putting it seep in water, put the boat on trailer and pull the trailer a few meters by cables untill trailer+boat reaches shore then attaching it to the car!

long process indeed but unfortunately we dont have a lot of options here.

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... Howdy sameh,... Yer retrieving problem is Exactly the reason Tilt bed trailers were invented,...

Rollers might be a big help too, but gettin' the back of the trailer down Low, by raisin' the front of the trailer, lessens the angle of attack, allowin' the bow to ride up the bunks,..

If ya could hinge the tongue from the bed, you can build yer Own tilt bed trailer...

thanks for the reply
i did not know that there is something called tilt beds-i understand it is something that can do as big waste trucks to pour their content. I have people here that can do me work but i will appreciate help to understand how this works and what it needs (you mentioned something abou tounge of a bed...can you explain more please-i am interested).
i am attaching some pictures of my boat and the bunks. can you tell their condition?
the boat is glastron made of fiberglass. 17 feet, maximum 500 kg.bunk1.jpgbunk2.jpgbunk3.jpg

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

found also this on youtube. is that what you mean by tilt beds?

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow--those bunks look terrible. They're ripping into the hull!