2000 SeaDoo GTX to buy or not

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer
I have a chance to buy the ski below for $200

Your thoughts and opinions please... Buy it or leave it?
First ski for me and I know next to nothing about them.

Here is what I know about it:
I have not seen the ski in person
Owner is original owner bought ski new in 2000
Maintained by a certified SeaDoo mechanic (no DIY)
fuel injected
Has a coil issue (last time out engine was stuck in "limp" mode)
Trailer needs repair new hubs, tires, and a new axle.

IMG_6823.jpg

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: 2000 SeaDoo GTX to buy or not

I don't normally recommend older 2-stroke skis "Campbell", but for that price it's hard to pass up. Check out "Greenhulk.net" to find experts that work on those type Seadoos. good luck !!!

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer

See if you can get the seller down a little...then you can at least get your $$$ in scrap if all goes terribly wrong

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

What you're buying is a hull. With all the issues, you can expect to have to sink several thousand $ more in it to get it seaworthy. If you don't mind the investment go for it. Or, you could spend the same amount and get a much newer 4 stroke and not have to worry about reliability. A 13 year old 2 stroke is never a good investment unless YOU are a certified mechanic.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it sounds like a DI model. complicated to work on unless you know what you are doing. pass.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

but for that price it's hard to pass up.

Indeed hard to pass on that price

See if you can get the seller down a little...then you can at least get your $$$ in scrap if all goes terribly wrong

Already got him to come off his $500 asking price. Is the trailer not worth ~$350? Maybe $150 in parts to fix it, so I could break even on just the trailer IMO.

unless YOU are a certified mechanic.

certified mechanic...not always a measure of his ability, while I am not a certified mechanic, I am a competent mechanic...

it sounds like a DI model.

Indeed a DI model

While I am not committed to buying this ski, I am very intrigued and the price is hard to pass on. Doing a little research on this thing. I should say that the owner is someone I know and do not think he would be dishonest. Planning to go and check out the ski in a few weeks. Should also mention that he is throwing in a generator he no longer needs just for coming to get the ski out of his yard...

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Its obviously not working and the motor is likely shot. That price is a hull scrap price. If it actually ran, it would be selling for 3k.

But, for $200 I would think you could get your money back out of it.

Here is the thing....there is no telling what it needs.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

But, for $200 I would think you could get your money back out of it.

Here is the thing....there is no telling what it needs.

I agree completely. Worst case part it out....

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like all watercraft - 2 stroke or 4 stroke. My wife and I both ride 2 stroke Seadoo GTX's. A 1997 and a 2001 RFI. I would judge your decision on what plans you have for the craft (keep or resell). If it were me, I would buy it simply due to the resell value by parting out so no loss of funds. But that takes time that I know I don't have.

I own my 2 strokes simply from a "cost to fix" attitude and I have all I need to rebuild/fix them when something breaks so I come out ahead a little. If my machines were 4 stroke, I would have no option but to take them in to get fixed due to all the computerized control systems/tools that I don't have which would make repair impossible at today's rates. There are several small relatively inexpensive type problems that can cause a low RPM state. You might get lucky and have a small repair need, but it could also be a very costly move if it's inside the motor.

Call a dealer and see if they will inform you of all the probable causes of the watercraft symptoms. You might get lucky and get the info you need to make a better decision.

GOOD LUCK!!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My comment about a "certified mechanic" was meant to describe somebody that was intimately familiar with a S-D DI. Certainly 99% of the certifyable mechaics in my area aren't worth a crap. OTOH, the best Mr. Goodwrench in town works well on my Chevy but doesn't have a clue about a S-D.

If your aim is to make a few bucks parting it out, then go for it. But if you want an operable ski, don't proceed unless you have sufficient thousands to go all the way.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your aim is to make a few bucks parting it out, then go for it. But if you want an operable ski, don't proceed unless you have sufficient thousands to go all the way.

ditto...

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

id say buy it the motor alone will sell for 800 to 1000 if not more the fuel injectors those sell for 150 to 200 easy the mpem theres 300 to 400 the jetpump 150 to 250 these are # off the top of my head if i was offerd that deal i would have bought it that day you will not go wrong buying it you can have the codes chccked and cleard 75 to 100 and i bet you can buy a set of coild for a 100 off ebay or pwctoday.com theres alot of money for a little money its worth more in parts then as a whole but if your buying it to ride its cheap enough that even if you end up with a 1000 in it you can sell it all day long for 2000 to 2500

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer

Couldn't agree more with frozenokie ... Love my 1998 2 stroke skis. If a hose is off, I know my skis will fall into limp mode and will go no more than 3k rpm and 30 mph. If a 2 stroke will pop, chances are any performance issues are dirty carb related.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it have a hour meter on it? Maybe all it needs is a coil and for $500 you will have a good running ski. If is was maintaind by a seadoo mechanic they might know exactly what it needs. Can you afford to gamble $500 to $600 bucks?

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the replies.

Let me say first...this ski is owned by a student I trained last week who is out on the road training still, he is back next week and I will be picking it up next weekend.

Second, my best friend is a Yamaha Master mechanic and works on skis quite a bit, I have spoken to him about the ski and he is going to take a look at it. He agreed that worst case is to part it out and said I would come out well over what I am investing; or I will have a nice 2 stroke ski for just a little in repairs. (little here is compared to the cost of a running ski)

Again thanks for your input!