Stainless Prop or not?

nite fisherman

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 16 ft starcraft with a 60 horse Johnson. Would it benefit me to replace the factory prop with a stainless prop of the same size and pitch?
Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stainless Prop or not?

IMHO, Stainless steel propos are good if you need the prop to withstand encounters with sand and muck. On the shallow bay where I boat, my I/O would hit bottom enough to chew up an alum prop each year. A SS prop solved that issue.

Other than that, you can find al props that are nearly as high performance as a SS one, at 1/3 the price.

So in your case, the answer is yes if you hit bottom often and chew up the prop. Be aware that your setup wil not gain too much with a SS prop, as they are best suited for high performance boats.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I concur with Chris1956's comments. Stainless steel props do have a few advantages over aluminum props. One being they are made out of stainless steel and therefore are stronger then aluminum and for that reason they can be made thinner for less drag and less flexing while spinning. That allows them to perform better than same pitched size aluminum props. Being stronger also helps with impact and sand bars they may run into. So yes you will benefit from a stainless steel prop. How much is yet to be known. And is it worth the extra cost? If I had the option to purchase one for my boat I probably would just for the longevity and performance enhancements...JMHO!

littlerayray

Lieutenant

first question what are you doing with your boat if you are looking for enhanced performance then no the cost isnt worth it
and if your fishing in shallow waters a good depth finder and triming up may be all you need to do to save the aluminum prop

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

watching swamp people the other day I saw an example of what can happen with too hard a contact with a ss prop.
A couple of women gator hunters were maneuvering slowly in shallow water and struck a log or stump.
seemed light but cracked their Tohatsu 90 gear case wide open so you could turn the gears with your fingers.
I did notice that the gator hunters all use ss props,they must hold up better in the mud and vegitation they run in much of the time,
but sure could be costly in the case of a hard contact.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Howdy nite fisherman; I resisted going to S.S. for over 40 years. In 2008 had to have my lower unit repaired because of a low r.p.m.strike on wood with a aluminum prop. This incident caused me to rethink my logic. Bottom line decided that SS or aluminum is a personal choice. Went to S.S. , it done everything I wanted & more.Am extremely happy with it. I for one will not worry about tearing my lower unit up with it.As have repair bills to show you can screw your lower unit up with aluminum too. It is the hub system that is your primary protection.Hope this helps.