How to get that diesel out of the boat

skipjack27

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm very interested in a powerboat around 35-37 feet in length that has a roomy aft cabin with double bed and ensuite. There are a number of models around that fill the bill here, and they are mostly variants of one kind or another of the general "Grand Banks" clipper design. The problem with these sort of designs is that the engine(s) has to be buried amidships - usually under the floor of the main saloon.

My question is this: given that many fine examples of these boats are several decades old, their diesels will generally need to be rebuilt. How do you get the engines out in order to rebuild them? Presumably, this would require extensive removal of the saloon roof (and thus of the flybridge which usually sits up there).

Am I correct here? Or is there some clever way of getting a diesel out of these boats for rebuilding, and then in again?

Jeff

sasto

Captain
Re: How to get that diesel out of the boat

Normally a diesel can be rebuilt with the block still in the boat. A total refit is another problem.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Sometimes if it cant be rebuilt in place,they will open up the side of the boat,take it out and re-do the glass and gelcoat when done.

Capt Ken

Commander

If the engine needs to come out which many do or a full rebuild, then a custom built A frame is used to get them through the hatches. You strip them down to bare block most of the time. Use to do them all the time years ago and still have the equipment. Actually not as difficult as you would think.

skipjack27

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, guys. That answers my question, I think. In other words: an expensive nightmare. These boats obviously weren't built with any thought to future maintenance. I guess that explains why these sorts of "clipper" designs are vastly less popular than other more conventional designs that allow the engine to be lifted straight out of the aft deck.

Sad, though. I do like the amenities that the clipper design provides.

gsouthern

Cadet

Grand Banks are actually Trawlers, and the early ones have Ford Lehman diesels for power. These engines can go for 12,000 hours or more with just basic maintenance. My 1970 GB is still going strong with the original engine. Of course going strong is relative, when she only curises as 8 kknots:D Also these engines are very easy to work on and parts are plentiful. So don't give up on a GB quite yet!

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Normally a diesel can be rebuilt with the block still in the boat. A total refit is another problem.

Sasto is correct, I'm sure it could be rebuit "in frame"

QC

Supreme Mariner

"In frames" are harder if you can't get stuff out of the bottom. If you can get the pan off and get tooling under, then all can be repaired in the boat as long as there is no main or rod bearing damage. Front and rear cover gasket or seal damage can be tough if you cant slide the engine significantly forward

sasto

Captain

"In frames" are harder if you can't get stuff out of the bottom. If you can get the pan off and get tooling under, then all can be repaired in the boat as long as there is no main or rod bearing damage. Front and rear cover gasket or seal damage can be tough if you cant slide the engine significantly forward
Amen. Get the oil pan off and ya pretty much got her made. I have rarely seen a block and crank go bad.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL, I said it could be done, didin't say it would be easy. ;-)

Hope you are doing well Sasto.

gsouthern

Cadet

2X what Capt. Ken said: "If the engine needs to come out which many do or a full rebuild, then a custom built A frame is used to get them through the hatches. You strip them down to bare block most of the time. Use to do them all the time years ago and still have the equipment. Actually not as difficult as you would think." And still doing them today....so don't give up on a diesel trawler.