85 Merc 18xd electric choke

KevinK27

Cadet
I'm not quite sure if anyone is familiar with how the electric choke solenoid actually engages the choke on the carburetor. I am at a loss. Let me explain. I am trying to convert tiller to remote control on this motor for my father, he is having a hard time with the pull start anymore. I just about have everything hooked up but I am at a loss trying to find out what is missing. Looking at this parts breakdown doesn't help a lot. http://www.**********/parts/search/...6/CARBURETOR (MERC 25)(MARINER 25)/parts.html
I think I need something that is not shown. Any help would really be appreciated. Today was our first day for trout season
and dad wants to get out on the lake with it soon. Thanks.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 85 Merc 18xd electric choke

Your link dosnt work, I suspect its to a parts drawing. But I suspect its one of the enricher types that the sel plunger covers up a small hole in the side of the carb, They look sort of odd because its not hooked to any thing.

KevinK27

Cadet

Yes, MH Hawker, I think it is like the way you describe. I found some pictures of the motor on ebay that show the solenoid mounted on it. I certainly didn't expect it to be mounted offset the the top of the carb like they show it. I will have to get down to my dad's place to look at it again. Sorry about the link, not quite sure what happened with that. It looked good when I pasted it. Thanks for the replies.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes it was a guess, I ran across it my self this winter while doing some work on mine. My sel had went bad and fell apart, and when the new one made it in I thought it had also lost some of the linkage, but after digging deeper into it I found out the carb has a small hole in the body and the sel plunger mover forward a bit ( 3/16 )and closes the hole off and it makes it pull more gas into the carb. It also has a en-richer plunger that the manual choke pull knob presses but that has nothing to do with the electric sel. when your starting the motor push in on the key switch to engage it when cranking and once it starts you can push it again to speed it up til it idles on its own. I normally have to push it 2 times for a second then it idles fine. it should look like this more or less.

carb 8.jpg