installing bilge pump

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do i go about securing the bilge pump to the hull in the bilge of my 1964 sea mist? As far as i can tell the boat has never had one and i dont want to drill any holes. I have it jerry rigged for now with a wooden dowel pushing it up against the transom rienforcement beam, but its not proper.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: installing bilge pump

This is how I secured mine to the transom brace on my Nassau. Hope this helps.
100_1888.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1815.jpg

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, something like that might work i have a automatic Attwood Sahara pump it doesnt have a side mount option. Mabey i could just use a big heavy duty zip tie, or somehow screw it to the bottom screen. Im gona need to take another look.

low277

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used a piece of scrap aluminum plate about 3/16 - 1/4 inch think, I drilled a 4 inch diameter piece out with a large hole saw and mounted it to the bottom of the pump. It is heavy enough to hold the pump upright and after securing the output hose it stay put very well.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a piece of scrap aluminum plate about 3/16 - 1/4 inch think, I drilled a 4 inch diameter piece out with a large hole saw and mounted it to the bottom of the pump. It is heavy enough to hold the pump upright and after securing the output hose it stay put very well.
Would you happen to have a pic of your setup?

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is what i came up with thanks guys. IMG_20130331_180358.jpg i used a piece of flexible galvo stock and attatched it to the bottom of the pump, then to the transom support.

barato2

Commander

i don't want to be a wet blanket, but galvanized steel in the bilge of an aluminum boat can be an Issue, esp if you ever haul it over to the salt. look up "galvanic corrosion". the good news is you can replace it with a short section of aluminum angle from nearest lowes/homedespot for not much $ if your boat never stays in the water and never has water in the bilge, it may not be a big issue, but check into it and make your own decision.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i guess ill have to do that becouse she is a little leaky, ive never taken her to the salt before but i might one day. Thanks for the info.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I took some perforated stainless steel sheet, ( about 1/8th " thick and bent up a 1" high box that was about 12" long and about 4" wide that I bolted the removable plastic caps of two bilges to. the bilges snap down into the caps( they are removable in case you want to clear out the impeller from debris.... the wide foot print and the weight of both bilge pumps holds in in place.. but the area where that piece sits is barely larger than the piece...so it cant move around much......bob

airshot

Rear Admiral

I used a piece of alum sheetmetal to which I mounted the pump, then attatched the sheetmetal to one of the aluminium ribs with sheetmetal screws. The screws go into the rib itself not thru the hull so no worry on leaks. With a longer pc of alum you can mount the pump anywhere you want.

Airshot

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_20130414_160629.jpgUpdate: my new setup using aluminum stock- IMG_20130414_152425.jpgIMG_20130414_152433.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Nice! the knee-brace is perfect for mounting a bilge (and a separate float switch if required).

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

since most bilges detach from the base I glued my base directly to the bottom of the boat with vulkem caulking. That stuff takes days to cure but sticks. It won't be too bad if I have to detach it from the boat, a thin filet knife will do the trick.