Spark Plug Diag and wont run above 2700-3000 rpm

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I'm still working on this 4.3 ser# 0m099909 with TKS. Background, I bought this boat at a "as is where is" price with the with owner saying its starts but need carb work. I replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil and some cooling system parts.

Took it to the ramp and lowered it in water and water starts coming in through the bellows. I decided to start it up and let it warm up to around 120, I lowered the drive and started giving it gas sounded good but some vibration. I thinking u-joint. Anyway it will go to around 2500-3000 rpm the drop to zero and sputter and sometimes die. Then start back up. I was running 87 octane and I think my arrester may be a little dirty. I cleaned the arrester, confirmed plug where wired correctly, and I guess I add some octane boost. I checked the compression when it was cold, I now know those numbers aren't any good. Going to warm engine and check again.

Any comment on the above or these plugs? the two to the left are #1 and 4
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc84/vman858/2002 180se Chaparral/20130330_192404_zps00096477.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc84/vman858/2002 180se Chaparral/20130330_192350_zps6e9b84c7.jpg

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Spark Plug Diag and wont run above 2700-3000 rpm

the previous owner said it may need carb work, have you done anything with the carb??

how about fuel filters??

sounds like you need to take care of some bellows issues as well

the plugs in your pics look fouled, which points to a carb issue

achris

More fish than mountain goat

the previous owner said it may need carb work, have you done anything with the carb??...

I suspect that may (read 'completely believe') have been a rouse. It sounds a lot less bad to say 'It need carb work' than 'The bellows have a hole in them and the engine won't run above 2500rpm, and the compression are down.'....

OP... You need to start with the bellows and the water in there. You need to get it out and the unis and gimbal bearing dry before any (more) damage is done. For the moment, forget the engine.... concentrate on saving what you can of the drive. If you leave water in the bellows you WILL be replacing a whole heap more....

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I suspect that may (read 'completely believe') have been a rouse. It sounds a lot less bad to say 'It need carb work' than 'The bellows have a hole in them and the engine won't run above 2500rpm, and the compression are down.'.

absolutely...never take the word of a previous owner, unless they have the paperwork to back it up

i was just using the "carb work" statement to point out that the OP didn't mention doing anything with the carb

which i then stated, at the end - fouled plugs point to a carb issue

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

Tanks for the replies. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have the bellow replaced and u-joint/replaced checked. Im going to have them look at the fuel system as well. I just don't have the time to spend on this and want to have to ready for the water. I report back what they find.

Thanks again...wish me luck, looks like I'll need it.

achris

Have them quote you on exactly what they plan on doing, with time break-downs, and come back here and we can have a look at it for you (if you like). Seen too many "I got ripped off" posts....

Chris......

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

Have them quote you on exactly what they plan on doing, with time break-downs, and come back here and we can have a look at it for you (if you like). Seen too many "I got ripped off" posts....

Chris......

My stepfather knows them and talked to them on the phone and he said around 500-600 us for the bellow and new cables. He talked about a new gimbel, but I need to confirm if that is included. I going to drive over and talked to them today.

achris

The time to replace a gimbal bearing (assuming it's not corroded in) is about 15 minutes. The cost of a genuine bearing is $72. If they are doing all the bellows and the gimbal bearing, have them buy a transom seal kit, which also includes the bell-housing gasket and yoke 'O' rings, part number 30-803099T1 ($220). The cost difference between the kit and the individual parts effectively gives you the bearing for free. OEM lower shift cable is $70. One trick I've seen shops use is to price out the parts individually, having actually bought in the kits. They make about 50% more on the parts that way.

Use THIS website, just put the part numbers in, you get the price and a picture of the parts. Useful for knowing what's in a kit.

Another thing. Have the shop return all your old parts to you. They are still yours, not the shops.

Chris.....

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

The time to replace a gimbal bearing (assuming it's not corroded in) is about 15 minutes. The cost of a genuine bearing is $72. If they are doing all the bellows and the gimbal bearing, have them buy a transom seal kit, which also includes the bell-housing gasket and yoke 'O' rings, part number 30-803099T1 ($220). The cost difference between the kit and the individual parts effectively gives you the bearing for free. OEM lower shift cable is $70. One trick I've seen shops use is to price out the parts individually, having actually bought in the kits. They make about 50% more on the parts that way.

Use THIS website, just put the part numbers in, you get the price and a picture of the parts. Useful for knowing what's in a kit.

Another thing. Have the shop return all your old parts to you. They are still yours, not the shops.

Chris.....
That is awesome...thanks for posting that.

I have a update..The TKS carb was rebuilt. I had drained the tank and cleaned but failed to clean the check ball. I soaked it in cleaner and now it doesn't starve for fuel on the ramp up to 4000rpm. Also I feel a little stupid but the water was the drain plug not working correctly. It was a make shift 3/4" pipe plug. I live in a rural place with no hardware store for a 45 minute drive, so I made this to test on the ramp but didn't let silicone dry enough. I have gotten the proper plug.

The two bellows that I cab get to look and feel good and the cable look new, but I may still have them done to set a baseline.

I still haven't taken on open water for a full test.
I am going to start a new thread about my shifting issue. Im new to boats and discovered that when pulling gear to the back it should go in reverse and vice verse. Mine goes forward when pulling it toward the bow. Also I have a opportunity to put a regular carb with a choke and get rid of TKS. I'll post hear after I water test and after I check plugs again Thanks again.

achris

... Im new to boats and discovered that when pulling gear to the back it should go in reverse and vice verse. Mine goes forward when pulling it toward the bow. ....

??? That's working the right way... Boat goes forward (ahead) when pushing the shift lever forward and backwards (astern) when pulling the lever backwards...

Chris.....