How to use DVA meter? I have a meter, not sure how to use it

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
I have attached a photo of my DVA meter. I'm not sure how to use it and it didn't come with instructions (which would be great if it did).

So stupid questions first....

- Where do I plug in the red lead for testing coils, CDI power packs, stator, etc.? Is it the upper right corner where it reads "DVA"?
- Where do I plug in the black lead?
- Which setting do I turn the knob to?

Sorry to ask such stupid questions and I know I can use the meter once I know what settings to dial it to.

If anyone has a thread or some instructions on how to setup the meter, I think I can take it from there.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DVA Meter.jpg
    DVA Meter.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1
Re: How to use DVA mete? I have a meter, not sure how to use it

black lead in com and red in the one marked dva.

set meter at highest level (400) then when testing reduce the number until you get a reading in the 1/2 to 3/4 range of the meter. As you do diffrent tests remember to reset the meter to the highest number unless you know what the reading should be then you can set to the next range up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Settings are done according to your motor and ignition system. All are in the service manual for your motor.
Moved this to the Johnson/Evinrude forums since that is the type motor you show in your signature.

removed

Last edited:

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Settings are done according to your motor and ignition system. All are in the service manual for your motor.

I have looked in my manual and it only gives me the readings I need for diagnostic and not what settings to use on the meter itself. Unless I just don't know what to look for but I haven't found anything after extensive searching.

I have looked in my manual and it only gives me the readings I need for diagnostic and not what settings to use on the meter itself. Unless I just don't know what to look for but I haven't found anything after extensive searching.

manual says reading between a-b lets say 120-140 volts then set meter to the next highest number so turn dial to 200 on the dva scale.
if the manual says readings between 20-25 set the dial to 40 on the dva scale (hate to ask but you know how to read the scale back to a number?)

p.s high voltage will light you up like a christmas tree and make you swear so please be careful or get a friend to help that understands how to use a meter

gm280

Supreme Mariner

It is hard to explain everything you could do with a meter if you have never used one before. A meter in the hands of a good technician is so valuable that you can quickly locate a problem if you understand how things work. But there is no way to explain all that in a few sentences here on these forums. With that said, your meter will measure voltage and resistance (and certainly other things too, put that is another story for another time) to complement your owner?s manual or even better, a Make, Year, Model, Horse Power specific engine shop manual. When they list a specification for say...a resistance value,,, you switch your meter to be able to read ohms and take the probes to both sides of the part being checked to see if your part's resistance falls into the range your manual listed... I?d suggest you research on the web for ?How to use a DVA?, (or even a Volt Ohms Meter - VOM). Then slowly read and try the things they talk about until you get the hang of it and understand what they are doing and why... Once you start understand what your meter is capable of doing, it will become your best friend...

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

p.s high voltage will light you up like a christmas tree and make you swear so please be careful or get a friend to help that understands how to use a meter

Thank you for the tip. What should I avoid doing so I can avoid being shocked? Just be carefull and don't ground myself to anything while probing with the leads? Is it that simple?

And to the folks trying to explain to me how to use it, you answered my questions. I was mainly concerned on where to plug in the leads and which settings to dial to and those directions make total sense and I understand it completely. Just wanted to make sure it was really that simple. I don't want damage the meter or anything else.

I'm also familiar with ohms measuring resistance, volts measuring voltage, and amps measuring current. I have the basics down on circuits and such. I just wanted to make sure I plugged the leads into the correct places and set the dials to the correct settings. I would think the motor is using DC current but I'm going to read more in my manual and try to understand what's going on.

Thanks for the help everyone.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to use DVA meter? I have a meter, not sure how to use it

Yes, your engine is using DC (Direct Current) BUTTTTT, the points or ignition system turns that DC into pulsating DC and therefore with the help of the coils going to your spark plugs it turns into very high voltage, high enough to light you up good. So be careful around those coils...that voltage is in the tens of thousands of volt range and can’t be read on your meter without special probes...so don’t even try! I think you will be okay otherwise...

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, your engine is using DC (Direct Current) BUTTTTT, the points or ignition system turns that DC into pulsating DC and therefore with the help of the coils going to your spark plugs it turns into very high voltage, high enough to light you up good. So be careful around those coils...that voltage is in the tens of thousands of volt range and can’t be read on your meter without special probes...so don’t even try! I think you will be okay otherwise...

Don't try and test the coils with a DVA? I'll recheck my manual but I was thinking that was typical to check coils was with a DVA meter? Thanks for the warnings. I don't want to be shocked. :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Don't try and test the coils with a DVA? I'll recheck my manual but I was thinking that was typical to check coils was with a DVA meter? Thanks for the warnings. I don't want to be shocked. :)

You can check your coils with your meter when they are not connected up, just don’t try to read the voltage from them while the engine is running. In fact you can easily check the ohms resistance in both the primary and secondary windings with your meter to be sure they are good. My warning was for trying to test the voltage while the engine was running. The voltage coming out of them when the engine is running will knock your socks off then... Sorry for the misunderstanding... Your spark plug coils act pretty much like a transformer in that the pulsating DC voltage going into the primary side gets turned or transformed into 10KV or more on the secondary output side that goes to the spark plug... Hope that explains what I was saying...

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

I've made the mistake of checking to see if a sparkplug wire was loose while the motor is running. Yes........socks knocked off and choice words are said. LOL!

Yep, not making that mistake again. I'll follow the manual for testing the coils and will bench test the coils. Thanks for the heads up.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer

your dva meter needs red lead in bottom right receptacle to read volts and ohmns. good luck ,good advice to get a friends help