Setting Timining Pointer on 1988 Johnson 60

gloveral

Cadet
I am trying to link and sync my 1988 60 hp Johnson. I cannot get it to -4 degrees at idle per manual specs, RPM is way to high even with carb plate out of the equation.

I have the manual and it references an OMC piston setting tool, finding two TDC positons then measuring the center distance, etc etc.

I do not have this tool but I do have a dial indicator on a spark plug base. Seems to me I can insert this, find TDC on the dial, then compare it to the pointer and the TDC point on the flywheel. If it is out I could then adjust the pointer to line up with the dial indicated TDC and the flywheel TDC mark.

Will this approach work?

I hope this makes sense, a bit difficult for me to describe.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Setting Timining Pointer on 1988 Johnson 60

You're on the right track. Put the piston near BDC, insert the dial guage and bring the piston up towards Top to a convenient location, by turning the flywheel in a clockwise direction, say 10 degrees BTDC. Make a mark somwhere on the flywheel. Back it off by turning the flywheel on a contrare-clockerwise direction until that piston comes up to 350 degrees, or 10 degrees ATDC. make a new mark here. Halfway between these 2 marks is TDC. Mark that and move your pointer to that spot, There's your starting point.
Guess what it does is compensate for any slop in the piston bearings, etc. Bet your new point is not very far off from the old, just seems to happen to me. Anywhos, you know you're starting from the correct spot. Good luck.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Setting Timining Pointer on 1988 Johnson 60

Couple of comments. The idle rpms must be set when the boat is floating at normal lever in the lake, running, in forward gear. If you try to set it on the trailer, you will be way too high. Set the rpm's at around 750+ on that 3 cyl. Maybe a touch higher since those 3 cyls are not known to be good idlers. The idle timing can be around 4 degrees, but that is not a hard number. It's a guideline just to get you in the ballpark. Start from there, then make your running timing adjustments. You set it by the observing the tach to achieve the desired rpm's- not by the timing light. All engines will have a different idle timing due to the different pitch props (spinning prop drag) and how deeply the lower unit sits in the water on the back of the boat. (exhaust backpressure.) So set the idle speed for what works on your particular boat and don't worry about the idle timing.