If I buy a prop that's the wrong rotation, can I just swap wires?

charliedaubitz

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 1977 Webbcraft with a stringer I/O and a 351w. it has a ss prop on it and on the first trip to test it, it went forward, with the control in reverse, this is a electric shift pin drive, no splines prop. I have the work history on the boat and the I/O was removed 7 years ago and I don't think the boat has been to the lake since.

I just switched wires to the magnets and that fixed the problem. If someone put the wrong rotation prop on the boat, is there any difference in the gears for forward or reverse. thrust washers or whatever. What direction rotation is correct. it's a 981105 lower unit with a 172491 michigan prop that needs a new hub.

I marked it and it's slipping. Could I press the old hub out and use crazyglue on it and press it back in after cleaning. I took it to a prop shop and they can't get the correct durometer rubber hub for a ss prop because of it's age. in the meantime I bought a 14x16 off ebay. the prop shop has the hub for a aluminum prop if it needs it.

webbcraft boat smaller.JPG

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: If I buy a prop that's the wrong rotation, can I just swap wires?

If you run that unit in reverse to get forward you're going to tear it up. Get the correct prop. The prop is supposed to rotate clockwise when in fwd gear.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Picture 298.jpgPicture 297.jpgPicture 296.jpg
Post a pic of the prop?? It's possible that they crossed the wires before. Your prop hould look like these.

southkogs

Staff member

... yeah, I'm thinkin' yer' wires were crossed, and you're probably in good shape. Like Jerry said, let's see a photo.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I hope you are referring to the direction of the blades because those props don't work on an electric shift stringer.

charliedaubitz

Seaman Apprentice

View attachment 187181View attachment 187182View attachment 187183
Post a pic of the prop?? It's possible that they crossed the wires before. Your prop hould look like these.

Here's a picture of my prop and the tool I used to remove the hub. It was broke loose from the urathane on the center. I had no idea what a hub looked like till the prop shop person showed me one. It is just held by tension on the outer part of the molded rubber hub to the inner part of the prop housing. I thought there were splines in the rubber or something that held it other than a tight fit. The center pressed out easily, I pressed it back in with crazyglue puddled up around it so it kept it flooded while it pressed back in. It's just going to be a spare anyway now.

Attachments

• prop smaller.JPG
    prop smaller.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
  • tool for prop hub removal.JPG
    tool for prop hub removal.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Here's a picture of my prop and the tool I used to remove the hub. It was broke loose from the urathane on the center. I had no idea what a hub looked like till the prop shop person showed me one. It is just held by tension on the outer part of the molded rubber hub to the inner part of the prop housing. I thought there were splines in the rubber or something that held it other than a tight fit. The center pressed out easily, I pressed it back in with crazyglue puddled up around it so it kept it flooded while it pressed back in. I't just going to be a spare anyway now.
Its not even worth being a spare. You need a new hub pressed in.

charliedaubitz

Seaman Apprentice

Its not even worth being a spare. You need a new hub pressed in.

There are no "new hubs" for the pin drive OMC ss props. no longer made.
Crazyglue is 2500 psi shear strength. there is over 3 square inches at the contact area inside the bushing, lets just say only 2 sq inches is in contact, that's still 5000 lbs holding. If I'm out on the lake and the aluminum one goes out, I'm going to try this one.

"if you refit the SS prop, be really careful you don't make really fast directional shifts. Some say the mass of a steel prop can lead to broken clutch spring tangs."

thanks, I read that too, I have the idle speed at 400 for that "factoid". it is heavy.

charliedaubitz

Seaman Apprentice

If you run that unit in reverse to get forward you're going to tear it up. Get the correct prop. The prop is supposed to rotate clockwise when in fwd gear.

I have the correct prop, the gears and clutch springs in forward and reverse look the same, the thrust load would be the same so what would it tear up if a left hand prop was used??

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The reverse gear isin't made for prolonged use.The bearing carrier takes most of the load and it's not strong enough for prolonged use.
You'll probably have a hard time finding a left hand prop for that anyway.
Comeon Bruce,you know if you try hard enough you can make anything work,Mor on that later.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There are no "new hubs" for the pin drive OMC ss props. no longer made.
Call a good prop shop like Wilmington Propeller in California to see if they can repair it. As is, its not going to work.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You guys need to get off the reverse rotation thing. He has a right handed prop.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Read what he's asking??? More on that later.He's asking questions on changing his RH unit to a LH.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

but no one ever made a LH prop for that drive afaik.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Read what he's asking??? More on that later.He's asking questions on changing his RH unit to a LH.
He's not asking this at all. And I agree with Howard that OMC never made a left handed version of this drive.