Green Oil

rlrobian

Cadet
Help,
I just bought a 1988 Century Bronco with a Mercruiser 2.5L 120HP I/O Alpha One outdrive. I was told by the prior owner that it "might" have a problem with a bad head gasket. I did a conpression check and all looked good. Next I checked the oil and it looked OK.
I put water to the ear muffs and started the engine. Ran fine. Let it warm up and noticed a slight knock at idle that went away as I throttled up. I turned the engine off and pulled the dip stick, oil looked OK. I drained the water from the block and filled it with fresh antifreeze from the hoses at the thermostat housing. The temp here was supposed to dip bellow freezing agian.
A couple of day later and 30degrees warmer I again started the engine. I checked again the oil and pulled the pluigs to check for water. No problems but the knock was still there. With the help of a stethescope we found the knock is in the outdrive. Pulled the cap on the outdrive and the oil is green.
How can the oil be green? My guess is that the antifreeze in the exhaust flow got into the outdrive. Is this a symptom of a bad bellows? Also we discovered that the knock may becoming from the driveshaft. The shaft has some side to side play, this was discovered when we took the cap off and wiggled the shaft to see if it had any play.

Help, I need all the advice I can get. This is my first time working on an outdrive.
RL

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Green Oil

Mercruisers High Performance gear lube is green.

Sure hope you have a new oring for the outdrive cap.

rlrobian

Cadet

Don,
Thanks, green gear lube is new to me, so thanks. No I do not have a new o-ring but I will replace mine before the boat see's water if you deem it prudent. Any suggestions on the clanking noise.
I am beginning to think it may be a good idea to give up on servicing the outdrive myself and taking it to a shop. We have one in my area. Can someone give me some ball park numbers on an outdrive overhall?
Thanks
RL

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure the noise is in the drive itself and not in the ujoints just in front of the drive? When was the last time you had the drive off for service of the ujoints, gimbal bearing, alignment, and checking for water in the bellows?

rlrobian

Cadet

I am not sure of exactly where the noise is coming from but I was able to isolate it to the upper region of the outdrive. The boat is new to me. The PO was selling because he was buying a bigger boat. The PO told me he had the boat serviced at a shop every fall for winter storage.
I can remove the outdrive and check the U-joint for play and the bellows for a leak. I have been sitting in my kitchen reading and rereading the Stern Drive section of the Seloc manual for my outdrive. It refers to numerous alignment tools and procedures required when installing the outdrive. Is that necessary if all I am going to do is remove the drive inspect the bellows and grease the u-joint? If so I think it's time to find a shop. We have one in the area, any idea what kind of cost I looking at?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... Seloc manual ...

:facepalm: Throw that piece of rubbish where it belongs... in the trash can....

HERE is a link to a proper service manual.... and have a look in the stickies for videos of removing the drive, checking the alignment.... oh what the hell... here's the links...

Removing drive: Removing an Alpha drive

Checking alignment: Checking Mercruiser engine alignment

Installing drive: Installing Mercruiser Alpha drive

Alpha One/MR/R/MC-1 water pump service: Alpha water pump service

One more thing. That green oil... it starts life blue. It's green because it needs changing....

Chris.......

rlrobian

Cadet

Chris,
Doing a quick scan of your attachment confirms your opinion of the Seloc manaul. I will order a #6 manual. Also thanks for the links. I need to check out more on youtube. Meanwhile time to pull the outdrive and check the ujoints.
RL

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will order a #6 manual. Also thanks for the links. I need to check out more on youtube.

No need to order manual #6; Chris' link you can simply do a: file | download
and save it.

Youtube is indeed a way to see various ways of doing things and good to learn from but remember that unless you really know the "source", use what you see as a 'guideline' and just one other tool to use along with the service manual. That's how I started out.
Meaning since we know Chris has a few videos and know him, those videos you can count on for sure.

Mark

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Chris,
Doing a quick scan of your attachment confirms your opinion of the Seloc manaul. I will order a #6 manual. Also thanks for the links. I need to check out more on youtube. Meanwhile time to pull the outdrive and check the ujoints.
RL

As Mark said, no need to order the manual unless you want a new hard copy. If you're happy with secondhand, go the e-bay way.

If you're happy with pdf, HERE is the manual for your engine too....

Chris.......

rlrobian

Cadet

Chris & Mark,
Thanks for the links and advice. I am a little old school and I do like having the manuals for reference and reading away from the computer. I think I am going to take the boat to a local shop to get their opinion/diagnosis of the rattle. I have a spare Alpha One outdrive in my shop that I am tempted to put on the boat to see how it operates. It's about 15 years older but looks to be the same unit. I'll get the numbers from both drives and post here to see if someone can advise me on compatability. Meanwhile we have slipped back into winter here and I'm staying in where it is warm. When the heck is summer coming.
Thanks
RL