Used Chaparrals - Vp or Mercruiser a Deal Breaker?

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, we continue to refine our preferences, and we now want to learn a bit more about the engines.

We are looking at Chaparrals, Reinells, Four Winns and Monterey bowriders.

One of the Chaparrals has the Mercruiser 5L engine with 260 hp. We are assuming this is the Alpha drive, although the ad is not specific.

DH's brother, also a gearhead, has a buddy who swears that the Alpha outdrive is a nightmare, and he would never own another one. The biggest issue seems to be the location of the water pump, and the dog clutch vs. the cone clutch on the Bravo drive.

Would these be reasonable deselection criteria in your world? Tell me more....

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Used Chaparrals - Vp or Mercruiser a Deal Breaker?

While I like Bravos better (and VPs are mechanically similiar) I wouldn't exclude a boat because of and Alpha. I wouldn't pay MORE (or even the same) for an Alpha powered boat, though.

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I can say is there are a LOT of Alpha drives in use after many, many years of service.

My husband's response is that you could say the same thing about Trabants or Chevettes. ;)

Last edited:

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

Volvo SX has cone clutch shifting which is much more positive than the Alpha One's clutch dog shifting. Mercruiser uses the cone clutch shifting on it's BRAVO series drives. Volvo has a drive saver coupler which decreases the cost of repair in case of striking a submerged object.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No.

You're thinking of taking advice from somebody you don't even know, or how they treated their alpha (is it even a gen 2 or something previous which a g2 has now replaced) over the "fact" that the current production a1g2 is basically (other than a few enhancements) the same as it was when put into service in 1991; some 22 years now? 22 years and current production seems like the easy choice over what some ______________ says.

Really? All this time and effort you put in and this 1 guy makes you want to change your minds over what Mercury continues to put out which if it was not of quality would go the way OMC?

So take out a a1g2 and now you're down to only wanting to look at a Bravo 1 from Mercury and when you do, you'll find the cost of major repair/replacement of a Bravo 1 is more than an alpha. So that throws a Bravo out.

In trying to follow your several various threads you guys seem to be going in circles and now you're almost back to only a Volvo which is where you were at in your first thread after going to the boat show in Sacramento--full circle.

Continue to look the way you are and every single boat or power package will have something that might not be "exactly right".
You have obtained more information than you know what to do with so why not just make the "best decision" with what you have right now and put an offer in on a boat and enjoy it?

Mark

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, I get it, it's called "due diligence."

But at some point, you're chasing a unicorn.

There is no such thing as the perfect boat.

Minimize (vs eliminate) the risks, get a reputable pro survey, plunk down the cash, and go have fun.

Time is 'awastin. Spring is here, and prices will only start to climb, giving your DH another excuse not to go boating.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DH's brother, also a gearhead, has a buddy who swears that the Alpha outdrive is a nightmare,

DH's brother, has a buddy .......... :facepalm: :facepalm:

I would bet my life on that sort of information. Who is the DH (Designated Hitter)?

The Alpha drive is the most popular drive out there, do you suppose this guy may have just not known what he was doing and kept destroying his own drive? Wouldn't be the first one to do that.

NYBo

Admiral

I think DH = Dear Husband.

To the OP: Another vote to keep the Alpha in contention.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't listen to the gearhead. Properly maintained, the Alpha 1 is a reliable, long lived outdrive.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would prefer a volvo penta or bravo drive in any boat I was looking at, but an alpha would probably not be a deal breaker if I otherwise liked the boat.

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No.

You're thinking of taking advice from somebody you don't even know, or how they treated their alpha (is it even a gen 2 or something previous which a g2 has now replaced) over the "fact" that the current production a1g2 is basically (other than a few enhancements) the same as it was when put into service in 1991; some 22 years now? 22 years and current production seems like the easy choice over what some ______________ says.

Really? All this time and effort you put in and this 1 guy makes you want to change your minds over what Mercury continues to put out which if it was not of quality would go the way OMC?

So take out a a1g2 and now you're down to only wanting to look at a Bravo 1 from Mercury and when you do, you'll find the cost of major repair/replacement of a Bravo 1 is more than an alpha. So that throws a Bravo out.

In trying to follow your several various threads you guys seem to be going in circles and now you're almost back to only a Volvo which is where you were at in your first thread after going to the boat show in Sacramento--full circle.

Continue to look the way you are and every single boat or power package will have something that might not be "exactly right".
You have obtained more information than you know what to do with so why not just make the "best decision" with what you have right now and put an offer in on a boat and enjoy it?

Mark

Mark, I think you're reading too much into the question (pun fully intended). We're not "going in circles" - it was a simple question about whether or not something was a deal-breaker or not.

We did go and look at several boats yesterday, and we've spoken with several dealers, asking them to keep an eye out for what we want.

We will NOT stampeded into our first purchase just because prices might go up over the next couple of weeks - we'd rather wait and get the boat that's right for us, instead of jumping too fast and making a newbie mistake.

As was mentioned in our first thread (of 3, over three weeks) - we don't know what we don't know. So sorry we haven't been as decisive as you would have preferred, and splashed down $20K+ on a boat that feels good.

The brother-in-law, DH, and the buddies are all gearheads, who tear down engines for fun, and rebuild carburetors in the dining room. So I respect their input, as I respect you guys, with a lot more direct experience in this area than we have. My role is to gather as much info as possible, and then synthesize it into weighted criteria. I wanted to know how to weigh an Alpha vs. Bravo vs. VP. And now I do.

If you think *this* is too much "time and effort" in the purchasing decision, you should have seen me when we bought our house! :lol:

It won't be a deal breaker, but it will be a consideration in the final ranking.

Thanks for your input.

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, I get it, it's called "due diligence."

But at some point, you're chasing a unicorn.

There is no such thing as the perfect boat.

Minimize (vs eliminate) the risks, get a reputable pro survey, plunk down the cash, and go have fun.

Time is 'awastin. Spring is here, and prices will only start to climb, giving your DH another excuse not to go boating.

Fair enough. We were at three dealers yesterday, and talked to a couple owners off of Craigslist. So we're moving. What we are finding is that the market is indeed heating up, and good used boats are sold within 3-4 days of making it to a dealer.

We looked at two Four Winns and a used Glastron yesterday, and none of them were exciting. The skegs on the Four Winns were pretty badly damaged, and the corrosion on the outdrives was noticeable. The Glastron was a Fish and Sport model, and was heavily used and worn - gouges in the rubrail and keel, stains in the upholstery, yet still overpriced.

Still looking!

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DH's brother, has a buddy .......... :facepalm: :facepalm:

I would bet my life on that sort of information. Who is the DH (Designated Hitter)?

The Alpha drive is the most popular drive out there, do you suppose this guy may have just not known what he was doing and kept destroying his own drive? Wouldn't be the first one to do that.

No, the issue was that the water pump is part of the outdrive assembly on the Alpha, which would require dropping the drive and draining the oil to get at it. The Volvo and Bravo have the water pump as an accessory on the engine. The Volvo also has the impeller replacement as an easy maintenance item.

When we buy something new, maintenance ease is one of the things we pay attention to.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And that is the issue, if proper maintenance is a PITA.

Ah, have your "buddies", or do your "buddies" know that even with a Bravo you should be pulling it off every year or so to check the ujoint bellows, ujoints, gimbal bearing, engine alignment? Just like you should with an alpha.

So now that you know both an alpha and a bravo drive need to get pulled off for "proper maintenance", you're down to whether it's easier to split the halves on an alpha and do a water pump service or from the front of the engine on a Bravo.
If you've read other threads about a Bravo pump service, a lot depends on access in the boat. Don has told a story of actually having to pull an engine to do a Bravo pump service....not easier than an alpha.

I have done both types fairly recently and in all honesty, the alpha is not any harder as in order to get to the bravo pump on my Sea Ray, the whole pulley needs to be pulled off and part way out first just to undo the hoses which to get to a bolt for the pulley on the engine means the lower water circ. pump has to get pulled. It's all about access for a Bravo. That's not easier than an alpha.

I'm unsure what when you say:
"The brother-in-law, DH, and the buddies are all gearheads, who tear down engines for fun, and rebuild carburetors in the dining room."
has anything to do with knowing about Alpha drives, Bravo drives or Volvo drives?

You can discount Don's opinion in favor of guys who can rebuild a carb in the living room, but why?
I'm close to feeling bad for you that you seem "stuck" having to listen to guys who think they might now stuff instead of guys here who have been doing this for so many years and actually know what they are talking, but you have to live with them.

Hope it works out for you.

Mark

TilliamWe

Banned

So now that you know both an alpha and a bravo drive need to get pulled off for "proper maintenance", you're down to whether it's easier to split the halves on an alpha and do a water pump service or from the front of the engine on a Bravo.
If you've read other threads about a Bravo pump service, a lot depends on access in the boat. Don has told a story of actually having to pull an engine to do a Bravo pump service....not easier than an alpha.

Mark

That's the truth. It all depends on the boat.

However, I have heard (not seen or done) that the VP is the easiest, since its pump is up higher on the engine. Still could be clearance issues, due to bulkheads/engine cover though, right?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

However, I have heard (not seen or done) that the VP is the easiest, since its pump is up higher on the engine. Still could be clearance issues, due to bulkheads/engine cover though, right?

95% of the raw water pumps on VP V8 and V6 engines, are on the crankshaft pulley.

The Alpha I Gen II pumps are typically good for 3 to 4 years before replacement is needed. The new bronze pump Merc has been using with Bravo drives since around 2005 is engine mounted, and is one of the hardest pumps to get at and replace the impeller in imaginable.
You could change the impeller in 2 or 3 Alpha's in the time it takes to do one of those sorry pumps.

The drives on ALL sterndrive engines need to be removed to check alignment bellows inspection every year. Gear lube change is every year.

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah, have your "buddies", or do your "buddies" know that even with a Bravo you should be pulling it off every year or so to check the ujoint bellows, ujoints, gimbal bearing, engine alignment? Just like you should with an alpha.

Mark, this is why we're reading up. And it was not a choice per se of Alpha vs. Bravo - it was Alpha vs. VP.

We do know about bellows and gimbal bearings, and DH is "in charge" of the mechanical stuff. He's been over to the local mechanic who handles both VP and Mercruiser, and he's continuing to educate himself. As am I.

No. We're down to whether we'd consider a Mercruiser over a VP.

I have done both types fairly recently and in all honesty, the alpha is not any harder as in order to get to the bravo pump on my Sea Ray, the whole pulley needs to be pulled off and part way out first just to undo the hoses which to get to a bolt for the pulley on the engine means the lower water circ. pump has to get pulled. It's all about access for a Bravo. That's not easier than an alpha.

We can always pull it out of the water and into the garage.

I'm unsure what when you say:
"The brother-in-law, DH, and the buddies are all gearheads, who tear down engines for fun, and rebuild carburetors in the dining room."
has anything to do with knowing about Alpha drives, Bravo drives or Volvo drives?

No, it has to do with making sure you know that I'm not the sum total of our mechanical background. So asking about Alpha vs. VP for routine maintenance matters is helpful, WHICH IS WHY I ASKED. You seem upset that I'm admitting we don't know it all, and we're trying to make a thoughtful choice. I have not in any way said that we're experts on this - but we're not mechanical virgins, either.

You can discount Don's opinion in favor of guys who can rebuild a carb in the living room, but why?

I did not discount Don's opinion. IN THIS THREAD, there is no history, no links to past experiences, and no idea of who's a post ***** vs. who's knowledgeable about these particular drives. I've searched the other forum subjects, looked at the FAQ that Don posted (which required a downloaded executable file, which I don't do, thanks), and have down a fair amount of googling and reading. And then I came back for a simple answer to a simple question - is the Alpha a dealbreaker for experienced mariners - thus trying to get a sample size of MORE THAN ONE. I would consider that, as Toddavid said, "Due diligence."

I'm close to feeling bad for you that you seem "stuck" having to listen to guys who think they might now stuff instead of guys here who have been doing this for so many years and actually know what they are talking, but you have to live with them.

Hope it works out for you.

Mark

I don't know why you think we're "stuck." We're light years ahead of where we were just three weeks ago. But we're willing to do our research for the right boat, since we're likely to have it for many years.

I've gone through this in car buying, house buying, vacation planning, jet ski purchases - just about any purchase that requires a big outlay of cash. And because I've been careful, and thoughtful, and analytical, we're very happy with the outcomes in those decisions. You sound a lot like my husband's best friend - "Have you bought a boat yet?"

;)

We will. And we will be happy with the results of our research, I have no doubt.

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

95% of the raw water pumps on VP V8 and V6 engines, are on the crankshaft pulley.

The Alpha I Gen II pumps are typically good for 3 to 4 years before replacement is needed. The new bronze pump Merc has been using with Bravo drives since around 2005 is engine mounted, and is one of the hardest pumps to get at and replace the impeller in imaginable.
You could change the impeller in 2 or 3 Alpha's in the time it takes to do one of those sorry pumps.

The drives on ALL sterndrive engines need to be removed to check alignment bellows inspection every year. Gear lube change is every year.

THANK YOU! This is hugely useful.