When to use bellows adhesive?

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
I've been lurking on this site for several years and have learned a vast amount of information, thank you all...

I have an Alpha 1 Gen II outdrive that I will be replacing the bellows shortly. I have both Power tune and Sierra Bellows Adhesive. The Merc manual says use adhesive on one side of the UJ bellows, both ends of the exhaust bellows, and the shift cable bellows. I read Don indicating to use Power Tune only on the exhaust bellows which sounds good. My question is about the transom side of the UJ bellows, do I use adhesive there or Power Tune? (I assume I use adhesive or Power Tune, but not both...)

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: When to use bellows adhesive?

Use bellows adhesive on the transom side of the ujoint bellows. Power tune on the exhaust bellows if you want it to stay on.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Just curious here, I believe the power tune is a cleaner type of product or would act that way on the exhaust bellows, is that the reason for using it? I will have this project comming up probably next year so I have been gathering all the info I can before i really need it. Thanks in advance for all the information.

Airshot

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is a cleaner, but it also makes rubber parts slippery for easier assembly, and it evaporates quickly without an oily residue.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

... but it also makes rubber parts slippery for easier assembly, and it evaporates quickly....

Boy, that's sure the truth. I used it the other day when I wanted to put a rubber hose over a T fitting and simply trying to twist the hose on was difficult so I sprayed a little Powertune inside the hose and just slipped right on....what a difference.

Mark

dubs283

Vice Admiral

i personally dont use any glue or lube on the exhaust bellows, i put them on dry - i often dont have time to wait for the power tune or bellows adhesive to evaporate/dry as the boat is usually headed out the door soon after the job is done (if you trim the drive all the way up and the power tune is still wet the bellows can slip off)

bellows adhesive on the transom side of u-joint bellows and shift bellows

power tune on the insert ring on the bell housing side of the u-joint bellows, slides in perfectly using the proper tool and power tune on the transom end of the water passage hose, slides on nicely as well

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone!