shallow water and tilt question

skinnydip

Cadet
I have a '95 albemarle with a dp-c1. I live in a river with a lot of shallow areas. I don't have a trim gauge but it will stop trimming as a safety feature unless i press the red button to tilt the drive. My question is can the drive be tilted at idle speed? If so, without a gauge how will i know how high i can go without damage? I read that for the newer drives you idle up to 29 degrees but never 30. Not sure that information applies to mine. Thanks for the help.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: shallow water and tilt question

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say on this, too. I just watch my prop wash as trimming up (no gauge) and go by feel.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sure you can raise above the trim level, just like a Merc, but you need to keep the rpm down to 1000 or below.
If you have the digital trim gauge, Volvo recommends you don't go above 40 in the tilt range.

skinnydip

Cadet

Thanks Don. I don't have a trim gauge at all and the only documents i have found that mention anything about it was for newer models. I guess my parents will be happy that i can make it to their pier afterall. I only plan ?on about 600rpm. Can it be tilted too high for idle speeds? If so how high

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a trim gauge at all

Without a trim gauge, not sure how I can answer that question accurately.

The digital gauge numbers usually went from -5 to +12 for trim, and 60 or 65 for full up. So that should give you some idea of where 40 would be.