Help!

little.boat

Seaman
I have no idea where this goes. I'm am new to boating never owned a outboard. I got a 1999 force outboard 90hp motor on my 15' bass boat it is rated for 90hp max. Motor seems to run fine compression is perfect along all cylinders. We put it in today when we get much over idle barely going it feels like it is slipping out of gear. Won't push boat to raise bow at all. So I hit the forum I kept reading about a slipped prop. Took it to the mechanic and he said prop is not slipped and is good. We put it in gear turned it backwards and it turns the motor over. He also said it doesn't seem like the lower unit is bad. He said prop is probably to big, it was a 19 pitch, he said 17 should work. Does this sound right? Also we had prop trimmed all the way down at take off. Should the prop be trimmed all the way down or should it be trimmed up and adjusted down to plane it? Just seems like that motor should push that boat faster than barely moving lol. Sorry guys but it is a old boat so no gauges.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help!

If a 19 gets you barely moving a 17 won't help you. The 2" difference may correlate to planing issues, but the "barely moving" comment signals a bigger problem.

If "planing" is an issue, trimming all the way down (in) would be the best choice.

Also sounds like you need a new mechanic!

little.boat

Seaman

He has been known as best mechanic around for 30 years. If I trimmed it up would it push the boat better taking off or should I start with it all the way down?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Starting with it all the way down will get you up and planing faster. If the prop is too "big" trimming it out will make it worse. If it is barely moving and it "feels like its slipping" something probably is. If the prop is too big and thats the cause of the problem, the engine will not rev to full rpm and it won't sound like slipping, it'll sound like lugging.

little.boat

Seaman

Not sure that it sounds like slipping or lugging. Motor didn't really sound funny just like that the rpm went a lot higher than the speed of the boat.

little.boat

Seaman

I didn't keep running it like that I would back off the throttle to where rpm matched speed. And basically went to dock I was afraid if something was wron it would tear it up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get out on the water and experiment a little bit and find out if different trrim setting will work for your setup. No one here can see what is happening with your boat, only what you type

Stepping on a prop is not the same as running it under load, not even close. Try a different prop and reply back with the outcome.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

It's still possible the prop is bad,sometimes they may look and " feel " fine but they slip anyway. Put a mark on the props inner hub,and a matching mark on the outer. Take it for a run till it sounds funny/revs up. Stop and check your marks,I bet they are off.
Grub

64osby

Admiral

^^^^ +1 on that.

Another option is the motor has no compression.

A 90 hp motor thats dogging it would get you to 30mph with no issues even with the wrong prop.

Maybe your boat has 1000 lbs of water logged foam.

little.boat

Seaman

I done a compression check before I bought the motor and all 3 cylinders were exactly the same 120 psi. That was cold and not stared this year. Motor started 2nd crank. Could have a lot of waterlogged foam. The floor is bad and we plan on restoring it this winter, but wanted to fish with it this year.

little.boat

Seaman

It does make a clicking noise when you put it in drive and spin the propeller clockwise.

UncleWillie

Captain

It does make a clicking noise when you put it in drive and spin the propeller clockwise.

That is correct.
In forward, manually turning the prop CW will overrun the clutch dogs and they will click. Normal, not damaging.
Turning the Prop CCW will back drive the power-train and rotate the engine if you are persistent.
In reverse; just the opposite happens.

Get the boat weighed you may be lugging around an extra half ton of water.
Does it float where you would expect.

Not sure that it sounds like slipping or lugging. Motor didn't really sound funny just like that the rpm went a lot higher than the speed of the boat.

That would be called Slipping.
Follow the instructions in GRUB's post #10 to confirm the prop is not spun.
If it is, you have nothing to loose in the attempt.

Trimming In/Down Lifts the aft end to get you on plane faster.
Trimming Up/Out lifts the bow and you will do the water equivalent of an auto wheelie stand if overdone.

little.boat

Seaman

I know the boat is waterlogged. The floor is bad enough that if I jumped on it I would very likely break through. With that size motor on that small a boat really make it only go a little past idle? Also would that cause the problem I'm having? I mean we pretty much got the hull for free, but I bought a motor for it. I don't want to tear the motor up. We planned on gutting the boat and rebuilding it this winter would like to fish this year.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not an expert by any means. But it sounds like you may very well be carrying an extra 1000lbs of water around with you. The engine wants to rev, but the boat is not moving? Sounds heavy.. If you are not experiencing excessive prop slip, and the motor is sound, you may want to think about why you got the rest of the boat for free. :)

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know the boat is waterlogged. The floor is bad enough that if I jumped on it I would very likely break through.
If the floor is that bad most likely the stringers are also water logged and rotted out plus the transom might be bad too. The transom could be flexing enought so your not getting the proper trim. This boat might not be worth the money it will take to fix it.

little.boat

Seaman

I did figure that the stringer were bad. However I figured this would be up my ally to fix. I've done construction for a lot of my lifetime. But I've never done a boat. The process looks fun but maybe I should try to find another hull in better shape. The question is can I buy a better hull for less money than it will take to fix this one? What does one figure a 15 1/2' bass boat would cost to redo from ground up? The vinyl is still good so is the cap and hull, gel coat and the motor runs great just unsure what is going on in the lower end. I have not seen very many decent looking hulls around. Best thing I seen was a 1979 ranger that from the pictures looked good but they wanted $1400. you can't tell if the floor has trouble by pictures either.

64osby

Admiral

I'm no FG expert but pretty sure you could start with 200 hours and $2,000. That would get you a basic fix. Others with more knowledge will chime in.