99 Ocean Pro - New starter - cracked

jlemberg

Seaman
Went to fire up the old Johnny Rude after about a month and a half, and it maybe turned over for a millisecond, and then a big clunk. Found the top half of the starter cracked, and about to fall off. This was a cheapo starter, but only a few months old.

1. Crappy starter?

or

2. Frozen Engine?

OMS is still hooked up, if we're thinking the seized theory. Would prefer not to mess with the starter if there is a way to tell if its seized first.

Also...it may have sounded like it "backfired" too...so maybe it reversed the torque on the starter gears I dont know.

JDusza

Ensign
Re: 99 Ocean Pro - New starter - cracked

Pull the plugs; eliminates compression; crank should spin "freely". Check this to be sure the engine isn't seized. Should be able to spin the flywheel by hand.
Pull the starter off the engine so no damage is done. Hot wire it to a 12 v battery and see if it spins, self-destructs or smells. lol Wear goggles.
Crappy starter? Maybe.
On the other hand, I've replaced starters that got munched because water got in the starter mount casting and froze, breaking the mount. Tried to start the engine and the starter spun itself right out of the mount.
I say check the mounts, too.
What is OMS?
J

jlemberg

Seaman

Pull the plugs; eliminates compression; crank should spin "freely". Check this to be sure the engine isn't seized. Should be able to spin the flywheel by hand.
Pull the starter off the engine so no damage is done. Hot wire it to a 12 v battery and see if it spins, self-destructs or smells. lol Wear goggles.
Crappy starter? Maybe.
On the other hand, I've replaced starters that got munched because water got in the starter mount casting and froze, breaking the mount. Tried to start the engine and the starter spun itself right out of the mount.
I say check the mounts, too.
What is OMS?
J

Good help...

1. How do I crank it by hand?

2. Starter has the "nose" broken off. It's definitely broken now..I turned it over a couple times after the "crunch" and it made a spinning sound, but no engagement. No crunch sound either..free-wheeling. Its' toast.
3. OMS is the Oil-Metering-System that they went to after the VRO - Variable Ratio Oiling system pre- ummm 1997(?). My point was maybe it didnt suck in oil, but water, or eh nothing. No oil alarms on the panel, but that doesnt mean it didnt suck in water as opposed to oil.
4. Doubt that it froze with water though, I'm in Florida. Hasnt been that cold, and I store it inside.

Do these starters have some sort of clutch that prevent them from tearing themselves apart if they encounter opposing force? Such as a frozen engine? If so, its got to be the cheapo deluxe starter that I brilliantly purchased.

JDusza

Ensign

Got it. Thanks.
1. With the spark plugs removed, battery disconnected, no chance of power!!!, put the transmission in gear and spin the prop. You should be able to sping the crankshaft up through the drive system. The engine crank doesn't sound frozen, but, doesn't hurt to check.
2. After the crunch, the free spinning is most likely the starter spinning and not engaging the flywheel; high pitched whine.
3. OMS-got it. No thinking here, yet. Check the block for free spin first. I think a failing oil system would give you other symptoms first. You don't have either connecting rod poking through the case, have you? lol
4. Florida? Not frozen!
Try spinning the block by the prop as mentioned.
J

What's the model number? I'll look at the flywheel to see how we can spin it.

jlemberg

Seaman

Got it. Thanks.
1. With the spark plugs removed, battery disconnected, no chance of power!!!, put the transmission in gear and spin the prop. You should be able to sping the crankshaft up through the drive system. The engine crank doesn't sound frozen, but, doesn't hurt to check.
2. After the crunch, the free spinning is most likely the starter spinning and not engaging the flywheel; high pitched whine.
3. OMS-got it. No thinking here, yet. Check the block for free spin first. I think a failing oil system would give you other symptoms first. You don't have either connecting rod poking through the case, have you? lol
4. Florida? Not frozen!
Try spinning the block by the prop as mentioned.
J

What's the model number? I'll look at the flywheel to see how we can spin it.[/QUOTE

Rofl...I dont know if I missed a rod poking out the other side when I focused in on the destroyed starter, but I'll check that. Thats a good one. Reference model 1999 BJ200PLEEB, that should get you there.

JDusza

Ensign

The drawings I am looking at suggest you have access to the flywheel when the engine cover is removed. With the spark plugs removed, try spinning the flywheel by hand. No? Do you see the flywheel or is it covered?
J

jlemberg

Seaman

The drawings I am looking at suggest you have access to the flywheel when the engine cover is removed. With the spark plugs removed, try spinning the flywheel by hand. No? Do you see the flywheel or is it covered?
J

The flywheel is right there. I didnt realize you could spin that without a wrench or something. I'll pull the plugs and see if it can spin.

jlemberg

Seaman

Must have gotten a kickback on the last start. I found a new starter locally. It's firing up now.