19parts85 Evinrude 2 hp Water in Cylinder

JDusza

Ensign
I have a 1985 Evinrude 2 hp E2RCOC that I am bringing back. At the end of last season, it was running pretty well. I should have left well enough alone.... I got the smashing idea that I should refresh its innards this winter.
I replaced the water pump impeller, the gear case lower and upper seals (for fresh oil was turning milky), replaced the gear case oil, rebuilt the carburetor, new condenser, points. The old magneto and spark plug wire are in place but are extra-insulated as they are known leakers. The next step on these components is to replace them as the plastics are shot.
Meanwhile, it will run. Stars great and purrs great until you put it in water. Turns out she's sucking water into the cylinder. If you pull the spark plug out you can watch the spray coming out the plug hole.
So, what could I have done wrong in working on that water pump? Or, ...?
Compression is great at 105. I don't see any symptoms of a pressure leak.
BACK TO SCHOOL.
J
Will it behave this way if I miss the water tube?

JDusza

Ensign
Re: 19parts85 Evinrude 2 hp Water in Cylinder

I think I found it.
Checked my work at water pump, grommet and water tube. Everything good.
I pushed air back into the system via the water tube and I can feel the pressure in the cylinder..... there's a leak.
I removed the power head from the exhaust tube and found the gasket in poor shape around the water tube and water inlet, so I suspect the new water pump impeller is pushing water past a leaking gasket into the exhaust side of the engine casting.
While there, I popped the head and removed the head gasket. Looks pretty good except there is a good nick on an interior edge, so this one's going, too.
The water path in the block is open and clear.
Water in the cylinder? My money's on the exhaust gasket leaking at the water inlet.
Anything I'm missing?
Cheers!
J