Help identifying a part from a 1949 Johnson Seahorse 5.5

adrenalizd

Cadet
IMAG0230_BURST002_COVER.jpg
Can anyone please help me identify this part. I have a 1949 Johnson Seahorse td-20. It had cracks in the fuel tank base so I bought a replacement for it. When I removed the tank this piece fell onto the floor. I have been over the engine more times than I can count and I cannot locate a place for it, nor do I know what it is.

I have a pretty good grasp of small engines and as far as I can tell it has no home, I have traced the entire fuel system, actually removing and rebuilding the carb but I still cannot find a place for it. I thought it was some kind of drain but there are no places for it.

It is driving me crazy, I am almost to the point to believe that it doesn't actually belong on the engine and maybe somehow it had just gotten stuck in there and happened to fall out when I removed the tank base.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help identifying a part from a 1949 Johnson Seahorse 5.5

Been a bit since I have tinkered with a TD, but is that not the fuel line that ties into the tank. The knurled end is where it attaches, and has the filter attached? Ill try to pull out a TD from my basement and have a look, but that is my guess.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and experts like High Trim should be able to help with your questions about that classic old motor. The link below will get you to an online factory service manual that covers your motor. Good luck!

Boatinfo - 1922-1964 Johnson Service Manual

Last edited:

adrenalizd

Cadet

Thank you for the quick reply HighTrim, on my motor the fuel shutoff valve comes directly off of the tank and then there is a s shaped fuel line with two threaded compression fittings that connects to the carb. I am thoroughly confused as to what it is...lol

Thank you Willyclay for the welcome and the manual, I will see if I can find anything in it that shows it.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am leaning strongly toward agreeing with:

It is driving me crazy, I am almost to the point to believe that it doesn't actually belong on the engine and maybe somehow it had just gotten stuck in there and happened to fall out when I removed the tank base.

nwcove

Admiral

what diameter is that line?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It would help to know the diameter and length. Hard to tell if it's a couple of inches or 5".

adrenalizd

Cadet

It is about 5mm diameter by 7 cm length.. so about a quarter inch diameter by 2 and 3/4 inches long, if I remember conversions right...lol someone picked up my tape measure and the only only I have down here is in centimeters for some unknown reason.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is a chunk of brass tubing such as is used on fuel systems (and refrigerators) Don't know where it came from, but it isn't part of that motor. Toss it and forget it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would say it is definately fuel line from something. Trying to think of where it came from.

Just as a side note, your motor is a 5hp, not 5.5hp.

nwcove

Admiral

sounds like the right size for the feed from the tank to the carb. maybe someone replaced that line decades ago, and inadvertantly dropped the old line under the tank.

adrenalizd

Cadet

Thank you everyone for your help. It doesn't belong on the motor, have been through everything. I bought this motor a year or so ago. When I picked it up the guy started it and had it running so I thought it was a good motor. I took it out the next weekend and it would not start.
I have spent a year trying to figure out what is wrong. I have redone the carb, cleaned the points, checked the compression. It is getting spark, it is getting fuel, but it refuses to start. It is about to either be free to a good home or target practice. I have never fought so much with a motor in my life.