1985 21' Wellcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSeconds

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone, I have an 85 Wellcraft with bad stringers. The majority of the floor feels rock solid, the only exception would be the bow (I've removed most of the rot). I have a few questions.

Would it be possible to remove the factory floor and reuse it? seems as if it was made in a mould and joined to the hull

Would I have to remove the front engine compartment bulkhead completely to replace the stringers?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
re: 1985 21' Wellcraft

Looks like most of the stuff you want to save, is sitting on top of your floor. With some careful cutting, yes all that stuff can be saved, then glassed back into your new floor. Looks like a very intense project, lots of glass work too.

SSeconds

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 21' Wellcraft

I started to cut the floor out today, my goal is to reuse it after the stringers and bulkheads are replaced. Let me know what you think.

Bondo

Staff member

I started to cut the floor out today, my goal is to reuse it after the stringers and bulkheads are replaced. Let me know what you think.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Lookin' Good,.... Lookin' Real Good....

SSeconds

Seaman Apprentice

Hey thanks Bond-o.

Got the rear seat cut out today and the gas tank up, need to get a hand pump and empty the tank out.

I know slow progress, but it's progress regardless. LOL:)

SSeconds

Seaman Apprentice

Got some work done, bilge is stripped, wood is out, started on the transom.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are doing a fine job. Please continue to keep us posted. I love the shape of that boat. Awesome! She's gonna look good when its all done. I'm hoping to stretch out another 2-3 years before I need to do a transom and floor job. I fixed what was bad this winter but realise it will need more work in the future.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yup! Your work looks real good!

... and when you're finished you'll have a like new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a new one!

You also get that priceless sense of pride because you did it yourself.

SSeconds

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys! I've always wanted a Scarab 1 and I got this boat cheap enough where it makes sense, at least in my mind, for a project like this.

SSeconds

Seaman Apprentice

Getting there.

Wood in the stringers was really bad.

Wood is all off of the transom now, just have to start sanding.

SSeconds

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in the process of laying the first layer of glass on the transom now, I'm hoping that someone here could give me an idea of how much pb I'm going to need to make to install this thing.

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome!!! You have a Scarab 1. That's the Scarab version of the boat I'm in the process of restoring (an `85 210 Elite.)

SSeconds

Seaman Apprentice

Got the transom installed today. I was really nervous because I was worried about the resin hardening before I finished, but everything went pretty well.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

Very nice work so far! I Just finished my 200 elite took me 6 months of weekends and a few sick days from work. Well worth it . Love the looks of your hull Have fun Cheers

bull36575

Recruit

Glad to finally find someone else with the same boat. Im in the process of doing stringers and transom in my scarab 1. Please keep us updated. I finally know where to start!

SSeconds

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome! I deff will, although its starting to get to cold so there won't be much going on till spring. I'm just finishing up on glassing the transom right now, I'll have to get some pics up.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome work!! Won't be too much longer but even so well worth it in the end. Defiantly good looking boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.