1957 Johnson 35hp ignition problem

Medman911

Recruit
Hi, I just acquired a 1957 Johnson 35hp SeaHorse outboard and I am having trouble with the solenoid. It has a push button starter on the dash next to a push button choke/stop button. I can jump the 2 main lugs of the solenoid and get the starter to turn over, but when I push the start button on the dash, nothing happens. I'm kinda new to boating, so any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Johnson 35hp ignition problem

Welcome to iboats.

The solenoid is always blamed, but usually not the issue.

To test it, remove it, then hook your ohmmeter leads to the 2 large posts, and connect your 12 volt battery across the 2 small posts. You should get an audible CLICK and get continuity across the large leads.

Now, all the connections need to be tight, and CLEAN. Take them all apart and take a file to them, polishing them, then retighten. This is at the battery, solenoid, starter, and grounds. Also, the wiring may be internally corroded or damaged.

There are other factors that could be in play here, as discussed in an earlier post. Your motor has a mercury switch, and will only allow the motor to start when it is in the START position, or perfectly horizontal. Does your motor have a tiller, or is it remote controlled? Play with the the throttle control, whether it be the tiller or remote, and get that mercury switch horizontal so that the solenoid is grounded and able to work properly. Temporarily running a test lead with alligator clips from it to a good ground will bypass it for testing purposes.

We will start with that. Test the solenoid. Ensure the battery is fully charged and load tested. Ensure all wiring is not rotted or damaged, and all connectors are shiny clean and tight.

JDusza

Ensign

Hey, Medman,welcome to the forum. Solid help and great alliances here.
If I get this right, you can hot-wire the starter solenoid at the starter and the starter spins. Check.
Does the pinion engage the flywheel? And, does the engaged starter have the balls to turn over the crank?
When you press the starter button on the dash you get nothing, not even a click. Check.
The push-button choke / stop is not yet part of this issue. Check.
Sounds like the ignition button wires are not connected. Or, the ignition wires that are in place are damaged / cut / corroded or otherwise not connected.
You'll have to get under the dash and trace the wiring from the starter button out to its components checking for continuity and corrosion. Flashlight, digital camera, note pad and pencil...... GO!
Sounds like the starter does indeed work. Be sure you have a known good battery. Not likely to be anything associated with the 1957 35 SeaHorse itself; dash and battery wiring. While you're under the dash, check the function and wiring of the choke button as well.
When you get past the starter issue, will the engine run?
J

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

12 volts should be available to one terminal of the push button.

The remaining terminal of the push button should have a wire leading to one small terminal of the solenoid.

The remaining small terminal of the solenoid should have a wire leading either to ground... OR... to a safety cutout switch. If to a safety cutout switch, that switch must be in a grounded position in order for the solenoid to function.

Having 12 volts applied to one of the small solenoid terminals and having the other small terminal grounded causes the inner plunger of the solenoid to pull into position which engages it.

Medman911

Recruit

Thanks for the help, guys. Will check it all out and update ya. And thanks for the welcome. Will be on a lot for help and advice.

Medman911

Recruit

Thanks for the help, guys. I took the flywheel off and the coils are cracked. Gonna get new ones and new capacitors. Also gonna order a new solenoid. Everything else looks good. Will hopefully have it running within the next month or so. I have the original 5gal. gas can, but I am unsure what oil to mix in it and how much per 5 gallons. Any suggestions? Thanks.

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again medman (are you and MD/DO? I'm applying to med school myself.) Gald you found the problem. All of the old/original coils crack eventually. While you're getting new parts, I would recommend grabbing a few feet of 7mm copper core spark plug wire too. No sense getting new components and using crusty old wires. NAPA, O'Reilly's and several other autoparts stores often sell it for a few $ a foot. Also, be sure twist the new wires onto the coil posts rather than just poking them on there. Here's a great ignition rebuild link. It's for a different model, but it still uses the good ol' OMC "universal magneto", so all the steps are the same. For less than $100 you should end up with an entirely new ignition system (2 new coils, 2 new points, 2 new condensers, 2 new spark plug wires and boots) that will last another 50+ years.

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

lindy46

Captain

Thanks for the help, guys. I took the flywheel off and the coils are cracked. Gonna get new ones and new capacitors. Also gonna order a new solenoid. Everything else looks good. Will hopefully have it running within the next month or so. I have the original 5gal. gas can, but I am unsure what oil to mix in it and how much per 5 gallons. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Tank is either 4 gallons or 6 gallons. I have a 1957 Lark (basically the same engine) and I run 24:1 gas:eek:il ratio. Use TCW-3 oil in it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP imbossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

(Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

Fuel/Oil mixture is 24/1..... 1 pint of good quality 50/1 oil to 6 gallons of gasoline. A gas octane rating of 87 will be okay.

Medman911

Recruit

Hi, kfa4303. I am a paramedic (too much schooling for me to do MD. lol). Thanks for the tips. Gonna order new coils in the next 2 weeks, plus new condensers.

kfa4303

Banned

The new parts will make a world of difference. You can get all the parts you need right here at iboats for about $20 each. I'm shooting for med school myself, but no luck yet. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Holler if you have any questions about installing the new bits. You may want to order a new impeller/waterpump if you haven't already too.