Old Green 3HP

gt20

Recruit
New to this forum, and glad I found it.

I recently aquired an old 3hp twin cylinder outboard. The only thing I know is that it is a 3hp, because I have several JW series Johnson 3hp motors and it basically looks like them on instead of being white it is green. I can find no model number anywhere. The points look to be in excellent shape, and the coils are black and are completly crack free ( I have a couple of other 3hp motors that have the cracked coils) I am guessng they are replacements. The points are opened and closed by a plunger and I cannot find any informaton about this type of ignition set up. If I knew wat year and model I had it would be a great help in obtaining parts.

The motor differs from the white Johnsons that I have, in that it has a primer of some sort beside the gas tank and other things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I could take pictures if anyone needs them to help in the identification of this relic.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Green 3HP

Pics would help identify it immediately.

The model number SHOULD be on the ID tag on the side of the transom bracket. If not there, look for the welch plug on the powerhead. Size of a quarter. If it has the serial number post that and Ill tell you the year.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Green 3HP

Does it look like the 3hp here? This is the 1952 lineup.

1953 lineup.jpg