Bearing Buddies

smittylv1

Seaman Apprentice
Could I please get an opinion on trailer bearing grease hubs?...I have heard pros and cons.
Are some brands better than others?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Bearing Buddies

Their ok if used like their meant to be. Their better things out there though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

There must be twenty different types of "bearing buddy" type products on the market from the original to aftermarket no-name versions now. But since they all seem to work pretty much the same way, I can't see much difference in one being better then the next. Personally I’ll buy the stainless steel type myself instead of some plated steel. But that is just my opinion and I'm sure others have actual experience with different types and can explain the better ones... The one issue I know too many folks do is fill them too full with grease. Some think putting a stroke of grease into them every time they take the boat out is the way to go. But that leads to the rear seal failing because the grease has to go somewhere. So the proper way to fill them (after you grease the bearings initially before placing them on the spindle like usual) is pump grease into them only until you see the internal piston/disk just starting to move outward. Anymore will overfill them and exert more pressure on the rear grease seal. And once that piston/disk gets to the end of its travel, the grease will rupture the rear seal...hydraulic pressure! JMHO!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

^^^^^^ Well said. I'm a fan of buddies.........

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The biggest misconception about bearing buddies (the "real" version) is that they eliminate the need to perform routine bearing maintenance. That is not the case. The hubs still need to be periodically removed, cleaned, bearings inspected, repacked and reassembled and properly adjusted. Bearing buddies are popular on boat trailers because the concept is that they allow a slight positive pressure on the hubs so prevent water intrusion. Whether they are installed on utility trailers or not is rather moot. Unless the trailer is dunked, hubs don't lose grease unless the rear seal is bad and that becomes obvious when the back of the wheel is streaked with grease. That may also be the case with Bearing Buddies that are improperly used. Folks pump them up so the excess pressure pops the rear seal.

bigdee

Commander

There must be twenty different types of "bearing buddy" type products on the market from the original to aftermarket no-name versions now. But since they all seem to work pretty much the same way, I can't see much difference in one being better then the next. Personally I?ll buy the stainless steel type myself instead of some plated steel. But that is just my opinion and I'm sure others have actual experience with different types and can explain the better ones... The one issue I know too many folks do is fill them too full with grease. Some think putting a stroke of grease into them every time they take the boat out is the way to go. But that leads to the rear seal failing because the grease has to go somewhere. So the proper way to fill them (after you grease the bearings initially before placing them on the spindle like usual) is pump grease into them only until you see the internal piston/disk just starting to move outward. Anymore will overfill them and exert more pressure on the rear grease seal. And once that piston/disk gets to the end of its travel, the grease will rupture the rear seal...hydraulic pressure! JMHO!

Well said. IMO they are a must have for any trailer that gets submerged....a waste of money for a trailer that does not get submerged, like a utility trailer.

gonogo

Cadet

I haven't replaced a bearing in 30 years, just lift the wheel and spin it, if smooth then just grease them. Run 2 trailers, have save me lots of money, bearings are not cheap.
Buddy all the way, first bearing failure was snow mobile trailer.

bassman284

Commander

The newest version have a small relief hole that will ooze a little grease before you pump enough to blow the seal. At least, that's the plan.

airshot

Rear Admiral

The newest version have a small relief hole that will ooze a little grease before you pump enough to blow the seal. At least, that's the plan.

Yep, I have those as well and yes they work great. You can overpower them, but if you use common sense and stop when the grease starts comming out then no worries about grease seal failure. Still not a replacement for annual service/inspection.

Airshot

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I've used these but I repack yearly so there is no point in using them. I've also seen loose seals and ruined spindles because of them.
I have oil filled hubs now so I don't think about this anymore.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had Bearing Buddies installed on my previous boat's trailer (ShoreLand'r) and I thought that was great technology at that time. I always made sure to grease them exactly as the members on this thread explain the proper way is to do so. I never had a bearing problem in the 13 years of that trailer's existence.

Then I bought my new boat with a new trailer to go with it. I asked about getting Bearing Buddies installed and I was advised that they (Load-Rite) didn't use them anymore. They use a system from Tie Down Engineering called Sup-R-Lube. They make two styles, hubs or spindles. The technology completely replaces the old grease in both the inner and outer bearings as you pump in new grease from your grease gun; it also doesn't put pressure on the rear seal doing so. I've only had the trailer for two years, but I have to say, I think the technology is pretty cool. It doesn't negate good, annual bearing maintenance practices, but I like the way it completely changes the old grease with new (and hopefully pushes out anything else that shouldn't be in there).

Here's a link to the owners manual on Tie Down's website if you're interested:

http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c718.pdf

I_5320

Seaman

I had Bearing Buddies installed on my previous boat's trailer (ShoreLand'r) and I thought that was great technology at that time. I always made sure to grease them exactly as the members on this thread explain the proper way is to do so. I never had a bearing problem in the 13 years of that trailer's existence.

Then I bought my new boat with a new trailer to go with it. I asked about getting Bearing Buddies installed and I was advised that they (Load-Rite) didn't use them anymore. They use a system from Tie Down Engineering called Sup-R-Lube. They make two styles, hubs or spindles. The technology completely replaces the old grease in both the inner and outer bearings as you pump in new grease from your grease gun; it also doesn't put pressure on the rear seal doing so. I've only had the trailer for two years, but I have to say, I think the technology is pretty cool. It doesn't negate good, annual bearing maintenance practices, but I like the way it completely changes the old grease with new (and hopefully pushes out anything else that shouldn't be in there).

I 100% agree with cJJJdeck. I recently got the Tie Down hubs for a trailer rebuild. Good-by BB's..

Tie Down Hub version is not as convenient as the fitting on the spindle but still way better than BB's. My hubs came with bearings and pre-greased. I use Mystik Grease so after I installed I did a little test and re-greased both hubs. There was a bit of resistance when pumping in but it was about 60 degrees in my garage. I disconnected the gun and spun the wheel a few times during to insure grease was going in even. So as the clear grease was oozing out the front,, out comes the blue new stuff and very evenly. So within 5-10 min, I repacked the bearings.

Will I inspect periodically,, yes ,, but (for me) not nearly as often. I prefer to just flush out the grease a few times a season.

Tips.. Be sure you have good/smooth seal races, I installed new sleeves prior. Also I was replacing wheels and regret I did not opt for the 5 lug hug.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

After looking at these NEW style hubs, I have to ask, couldn't anybody simply drill their own trailer hubs and accomplish this same thing? It would seem like a very easy thing to do (with a drill press and some serious measuring) to any trailer hub... Just an idea :decision:!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If your asking about adding a zerk on the back of the hub. Yes you can if your very careful.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was introduced to buddies in 1980. Am a big fan of them. Follow instructions & routine maintenance/inspection is key.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got a link for those oil filled hubs?

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lets hear more about adding a zerk to the standard hubs. I am interested in doing that. Place it behind the hub? One on each side? Any website explaining it?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Got a link for those oil filled hubs?

Mr Murphy is always hiding in the shadows. If a Bearing Buddy / rear seal is compromised, you'll get grease all over your trailer and tires. But, you'll probably get home.

If an oil filled hub is compromised, you'll get oil all over the place, probably none left on the bearing, and likely the bearing will fail. Hope you're not on the interstate!

Bearing Buddies for 15 years. Not even a grease leak. When they get repacked the inside looks like new. Maybe an off-brand might save you $3. I'll stick with the original.