1978 Evinrude 115 Fuel pump inlet cover orientation

justinwerner

Cadet
My new to me engine has the fuel pump cover inlet hose pointing upwards. All pictures I see have the inlet line pointing downwards. The fuel lines look brand new and are wire tied in place so I cant simply rotate the cover 180 degrees to look like every diagram. I can clip the ties, extend the fuel lines if I have to, but does it matter that the fuel line is feeding from the top vs the bottom? I would think gravity would come into play, but will defer to your feedback. Tks.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Evinrude 115 Fuel pump inlet cover orientation

Yes, the fuel inlet cover is usually oriented downwards. The other end of that hose connects to the hose barb at the lower cowling. The factory says you can use bulk hose for that run. I'd turn the inlet hose barb, then fit a new hose from your pump inlet to the back of the lower cowling hose barb. The thing to be wary of is that bulk hose works ok as long as it makes sweeping turns. If you make a sharp turn/bend with it, it will kink and not flow fuel well. It's not good to have a fuel hose restricted. OMC knew that clip-on connection at the cowling was a potential problem. By the mid 80's OMC re-designed that cowling hose connector so that you had to permanently clamp the hose to the (hose barb) connector inside and outside of the cowling. Another suggestion. I'm not a fan of your original "clip on" fuel connection at the lower cowling. They tend to leak with age. Remove (unscrew and take out) the fuel connector from the lower cowling entirely. Take the connector off the end of the (fuel tank) fuel line and run it through the "new" cowling opening, direct to the downward-pointing hose barb on the fuel pump. Clamp in place. That way you eliminate a connection that could leak air/fuel over time. Either way works.

justinwerner

Cadet
Re: 1978 Evinrude 115 Fuel pump inlet cover orientation

Good advice and direction. The clip on fitting seems like its already leaking, so I was going to replace it anyway. Hardwiring it in seems like a good solution. Thank you.