1992 Evinrude 88 SPL stalls

capezig

Seaman Apprentice
long struggle with this one...engine will always start, and generally idles well once warmed up a little with just an occasional 'sneeze'. Runs fine in gear at slow speed, and about 30 knots or anywhere in between on the back of our 17' Whaler. But...if you've just done a prolonged slow speed run, and then drop to neutral, it will often stall. She immediately re-starts without any extra throttle, and off you go. It seems like it will have fits of the stalling thing, and then run fine for a while. I have cleaned up the carbs a couple times, got the correct spark plugs in her, rebuilt the fuel pump, new filter/water separator cartridge, experimented with fuel supply lines and tanks, and started running a tank with SeaFoam in it. Any ideas on where to go next would be appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Evinrude 88 SPL stalls

What's the compression on it ?? Maybe it needs a good decarb.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"Sneezing" is not a good sign. That means-LEAN.

What is the condition of your fuel hose and bulb? Is your fuel tank vent free and clear?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The occasional sneeze maybe what we refer to as a "lean sneeze." That's a carb issue. If the small idle passages in the carb get restricted with dried fuel tar, it will idle lean and sneeze every few rpm at idle only. Usually the engine will run ok as soon as the throttle is advanced even a little-other jets start to provide extra fuel. A carb issue that requires cleaning with a product that will dissolve dried fuel, such as a Gumout type product. Also, make sure the engine's idle is set correctly. You want it to idle at least 650-750 rpm's as sent when the boat is in the water, in forward gear. You can't set it on the trailer.

capezig

Seaman Apprentice

Gentlemen; thanks for all the thoughts so far.
Boobie; I did check compression early on, don't remember the numbers but they were all around 100...seemed OK.
Fleetwin; brand new fuel supply lines/bulbs for 'big' tanks and spare 6 gal. No difference running on a hose in the yard, but I'll try again swapping around while underway and check vent on 'big' tank...good thought.
Emdsapmgr; It does seem to get back around to the carbs everytime. I think there was a delay in switching the fuel lines on this engine when ethanol came to be. The first time I got into the carbs I was finding the little black bits of rubber from the old lines probably. I ran a wire through the idle passages on the upper carb yesterday before getting underway, didn't have time to pull the upper to get to the lower carb. Sounds like I need to pull them both again and clean them up...again. I'll look at the idle tomorrow when we are chasing sailboats again.
Great info guys, thank you!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I've seen the black bits of rubber in carbs, usually on much older engines. The ethanol breaks the hose down and the bits lodge in the small orfices/passages of the carbs on engines up to very early 80's or so. Your engine should have ethanol-resistant fuel lines-so I am somewhat suprised. You might make sure the tank (feed) hose line is not from an older engine. Also, most newer fuel lines have a special liner inside-while is visible-to prevent hose degradation by from the ethanol. Maybe pull a line off inside the cowl and see what it looks like.

capezig

Seaman Apprentice

Emdsapmgr; I'm pretty sure that at least the major fuel lines on the engine are new. They are put together in exactly the arrangement of hoses/fittings as the parts breakdown and some sections are white. I also suspected the fuel supply lines, so they were just changed out both for the main 20 gal tank through a filter/water separator and the spare. The old ones came off black in your hands, especially when wet...
Fleetwin; Took look at what I thought should have been the tank vent on the 20 gal under the seat, and it turned out to be a solid plug. No vent in the tank cap either. I drilled a small hole in the plug under the lip on the side until I can make it to the proper fitting.
All; I also pulled the front of the airbox off, ran a wire through all the idle orifices and then blew everything clear. Had the boat underway again yesterday and it started out running great. Idled fine, slow long idle power run fine at about 700 rpm, and then up to about 1500 in neutral, sounded great. Then it started the stalling fit again after about an hour. I fiddled with the idle to try to get it up a little, but that made the nuetral rpms race...and that was uncomfortable. I put the idle screw back where it was and then it kept stalling while loading up. Going back in the water this morning for more diddling and chasing sailboats. I'm going to try to burn out this 10 gallons of fuel with seafoam in it to start all fresh.
Anybody got any thoughts on octane ratings for running this old engine? Could that be affecting it? I've been just putting regular through it...of course with 50:1 2-stroke mix...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Try another fuel supply test. When the engine starts to run oddly after that hour of running: Try constantly priming the fuel hose bulb. That will force extra fuel into the system. See if it runs any better at WOT when constantly priming. If it does, could be a problem with fuel delivery, or even with the pump rebuild. Another thing, weak ignition compoents tend to break down when the engine reaches "normal" operating temps, or even after prolonged WOT. Once cooled down, the engine may seem to run fine again-for a while.

capezig

Seaman Apprentice

emdsapmgr; yesterday, we switched over to the 'stand by' 6 gallon tank which was filled with fresh gas, oil and 6 ounces of SeaFoam. Similar symptoms where it warms up, runs OK in all respects, then starts shutting down at idle in neutral. On either fuel supply the boat will run about 33 mph at WOT with up to 3 pob tested yesterday. Also occasionally yesterday, there would be a period of obviously missing one cylinder at low speed, and then it would come back. This morning, fired up, warmed up and idled around to the ramp, no stall, no problem. Ignition thought you mentioned...coils, wires? New correct plugs in already. (too bad these old motors don't throw OBD codes, rats)

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Take a friend and an inductive timing light out next time you are on the water. When you have it warmed up in the water and it starts to act up, remove the cowling. You can test the ignition while idling in gear. Put the timing light lead on each plugwire. The flashes from the gun will show misfires, no fires, etc. That should tell you something.

capezig

Seaman Apprentice

update: looking at feel and appearance of the plug wires, they were changed and I added wire loom to each new one for extra protection against damage and leaking...Then we took a nearly empty 6 gallon tank and loaded it with 93 octane fuel, 50:1 2-stroke oil and 3 ounces of Marvel. The old girl loved it running safety boat for a high school regatta today. Fiddled with the idle screw once good and warm and had it running about 700 idling in gear and 1200 in neutral. Once that tank ran out we switched back to the main tank under the seat, and love it she did NOT. The remaining fuel in that tank has now been re-assigned to the garden tractor. The main tank has been re-loaded with 93 octane, 2-stroke oil and Marvel. Also pulled, checked and cleaned the fuel pick up in the tank while it was empty. Only a couple chunks on the bottom of the tank. Here's hoping that this is the end of the saga...next outing will tell...thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A lot to be said for draining the old fuel out at the end of each boating season, then starting over with fresh fuel each spring. A good thing to do if you run fuel with a 10% ethanol blend. That fuel just does not like to be stored for long periods of time. I use my leftover fuel each fall in my car and garden tractor. Did you see any signs of water in the old fuel?

capezig

Seaman Apprentice

The possibility of a fuel connection to our rough running issues had never clicked as we had run so much new fuel through that tank. We'll find out Saturday for sure with the 'do-over' on the main tank. Starting from scratch sure can't hurt. No evidence of water, and we do run a filter/water separator between the tank and engine.

capezig

Seaman Apprentice

Been a period of minimal use, new job and stuff. Finally got a chance to completely take the carbs off and put in new repair kit parts/gaskets. Took it out this afternoon and she runs like a scared cat. 36mph in flat water. Idled back into the boat ramp, and it sat there idling just fine while I got the trailer. Maybe this time we really have it licked. I hope so, I'm running out of parts to change.:)