2 PSAs from my adventures last year...

SteelNuttz

Seaman
It's almost time again here in the northeast...here are a few pointers from a noob!

1. Tighten the lug bolts (or nuts) on your trailer. 2012-08-06_17-51-28_176.jpg

2. Check your gear lube so you don't have to be towed back to shore. 2012-09-08_07-58-32_90.jpg

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Re: 2 PSAs from my adventures last year...

i hope those to incidents did not happen in the same day lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Sorry for your problems, but after viewing the pics I can't help but comment that it was a very unsafe tow. That could have turned a bad day into a tragic one. Probably not your fault either. Never tow with a cleat. That's what bow and stern eyes are for. If the good Samaritan won't do it right, don't accept the tow. You'll be the one that gets injured!

cr2k

Captain

I bought a cordless impact from sears about $100. Real easy to hit the nut before we go and nice to have if you have a flat.

SteelNuttz

Seaman

These weren't on the same day, but they were about two weeks apart...luckily family members were there to bail me out each time. The tire that came off my trailer smashed a hole in a guy's garage - so that sucked.

I also haven't been able to use my boat since the tow because my lower unit was trash...Looking forward to fixing it up though and getting back on the water!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Hang on to your wallet. Most people change lube at least once a year and run a pressure/vacuum test once a year. As far as lug nuts, well I check them a few times after any work that is done to the wheels till they stay tight.