Be gentle, it's my first time!

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, if these things go anywhere it's not because I didn't try. I wanted to be totally finished this weekend, but doesn't look like that's going to happen, as I've run short of epoxy before getting to the rear bulkhead. Stringers are totally encapsulated though. I'm amazed just how yellow the epoxy gets, as the stringers were darker wood than the rear bulkhead..<br /><br />
boat39.jpg

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Be gentle, it's my first time!

Looks mighty righteous ta me, sir.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! :D <br />Here's the before...Just a bit of difference..<br /><br />
boat21.jpg

crab bait

Captain

good job.. don't forget,, make provisions for wire ,fuel,& cables.. <br /><br />USCG says all boats under 21 ft. must have level floatation... <br /><br />what kinda stringer wood...???

bubbakat

Captain

CC those stringers look good to me. If they go anywhere the rest of the boat will have to follow :D

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

"good job.. don't forget,, make provisions for wire ,fuel,& cables"<br /><br />Yup. Cables run across the top of the starboard gunwale and back. Fuel tank goes in between the two bulkheads.. Still have to come up with a mounting arrangement that I'm happy with, as Bilgeliner's idea of mounting was laying it on two strips of rubrail vinyl, then stuffing chopped glass loosely alongside and pouring resin on it.. <br /><br />"USCG says all boats under 21 ft. must have level floatation..."<br /><br />Both sides of the center channel will get 4lb foam.. <br /><br />what kinda stringer wood...???<br /><br />Douglas Fir. even the little blocks that hold the bulkheads. Ply is A/B Marine Douglas fir also. <br /><br />Regards, and Thanks!<br /><br />Roger

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Looks great. You glassed them in a lot beefier than I did on mine. I used two layers of the heaviest mat with poly resin on my stringers, but I also have six stringers, and then foamed the snot out of the voids. I have beaten the heck out of the boat and there has been no sign of problems, not a creak or even a rattle. Your stringers will be as strong as a bridge abuttment....

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Beautiful job CCrew.. Mighty fine... Top notch... :)

D

DJ

CCrew,<br /><br />Very nice work. You can be proud of that.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Is the fuel tank steel or plastic?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Hooty, It's a 36 gallon aluminum. <br /><br />Roger

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I guess that means the ends and bottom are flush. No flanges, right?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Hooty..<br /><br />Ends and sides are flush, no flanges. Bottom is angled to match the hull contour, with the bottom flat so it's elevated out of the bilge. <br /><br />Standard bayliner installation had strips of rubrail where the angles met the hull, with a wood block toward the bow bulkhead, and the aforementioned glass and resin that they stuffed in the sides. I wish it had flanges, but that would make life too easy! :D <br /><br />-Roger

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

CCrew, beautiful work. Did you use penetrating epoxy on all of the pieces? And are those drain holes at the bottom of your bulkheads? Will they go thru to the bilge?

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal,<br /><br />Thanks for the compliment. It's appreciated.<br /><br />I precoated all pieces 2 to three times with CPES before it was all assembled. If this rascal ever rots it'll be long after we've bought another boat. I figure that it took 16 years to rot out the first time, if it goes another 16 I'll be more than happy, as It'll be long gone by then but someone will still have a nice boat with a lot of life left to it. I've pretty much figured that the "project boat" thing isn't for me...I'm to critical of my own work and can't "cheap out" things I work on. My guess is that by the time all is said and done I would have been ahead buying a good used one. At least if nothing else I know exactly what I have.. down to the last fiberglass itch! :p <br /><br />They are drain holes at the bottom of the bulkheads, but I'm not totally happy with them. I think I'm just going to forstner bit them to a fair size and glass some PVC pipe in there to be sure it's sealed. <br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Roger

1965MT

Seaman

CCREW, I have struggled myself with the idea regarding buying a good used boat instead of rebuilding, and I keep coming up with the same answer of rebuilding. The only boats that you can buy for less than a gazillion bucks is one that you will have to work on anyway. As an example, I have passed by a Grady White every day for the last three years, that has been stored outside and uncovered. If the guy was going to sell it he would probably want a lot of money. I am amazed at the disregard that people have for their boats. <br />I think that unless I buy a new one, I will probably re-build again.

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice job CCREW. I did not work on mine this week.<br />Your are now way ahead of me. I do not have a heated space to work in. My boat is in an outside<br />shed. So I need good weather to work.<br />Keep up the good work. :) <br /> <br />Mario

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Looks very very good. You know unless you can get a boat that is like less than 5 years old, you would wind up doing this anyway eventually . So in this sense, you might as well keep this one as long as it meets your needs since to get a used boat made as well as yours will be will cost a lot!<br />I used CPES and epoxy in my floor repair job too, doesn't CPES smell nice ;) I used a respirator for organic fumes with that stuff. <br />BTW, did a little test on the relative strength of wood vs epoxy, epoxied 2 firring strips together, tried to pull em apart, the wood fractured, not the epoxy joint!!!<br />After you get this all done, you next have to keep that Cobra drive shifting well, when it gets stiff, ususally the transom shift cable needs to be replaced.

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

LouC,<br />Yeah, between CPES and acetone, betcha could get a heck of a buzz going! :D <br /><br />Cobra's all rebuilt, with a brand spanking new shift cable just sitting here waiting for it to go back in :) <br /><br />Roger