Need some advice regarding multiple issues on my ez loader surge brake system

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry this is long, trying too make myself clear on all history and issues regarding my trailer

My old steel boat trailer was unsafe. JUNKED IT
Located a 2006 aluminum float on ez loader duel axle 4 wheel, oil bath , drum surge brake system
Seller wanted it gone. Seller complained that wheels were locking at times,
Up inspection found reason for binding wheels, broken brake pads in drums stopping wheels from turning.

Going too my local trailer store.
They did not sell pads only complete set ups all ready mounted onto plate, this way all I had too do was bolt onto axle. Was costly changed all 4 wheels.

Fast forward two years later.
Surge brake actuator started making very loud banging noises, So loud that the noise got the attention of others?

One trip out had no trailer brakes. CHecking no brake fluid.

On this surge system bleeding was easy, whole on top, able too stick a screw driver into whole and pump away.

Filled brake fluid. I pumped away, hearing fluids going into system.
THen I noticed why I had no fluids. a pin whole in brake line, fluid was leaking all over aluminum trailer rail.
Cut out rusted area, installed new section of brake line, got crimping tool from auto zone.
No more leaks, but there must be air in lines.

Surge system was 7 years old and all reports say it costs more too fix and easier too purchase another .
Once I took actuator off, parts from unit fell apart, No idea what was wrong and the loud banging I guess it was a good thing I removed.

I had an older almost new Titan model 60 surge brake actuator which I had just installed on the trailer I junked. Prior too junking trailer I removed and saved
Installing Titan was easy, no new wholes were need. filled with brake fluid , taking for ride great no more banging noises, but had no trailer brakes.

Thinking I proberly had air in lines

Going on line it shows the Titan model 60 requires a 2/4 and safety chains too bleed ? Tried doing this, was slow, a royal pain in the neck, and not sure if fluids were pumping thru. I am using 2/4 too push in and a screw driver too push out?
Very slow process.

Calling trailer shop, he said bring it over, can take a fast look and bleed .
Once I got there I told him on two wheels, not on same axels, but on opposite axles and sides of trailer, hubs and drums were very hot too touch, other 2 wheels were cool. ?
He stated my actuator is working. ( he new just by looking ??? ) he was not charging me and just listend
As stated earlier hubs have oil bath systems.
He said bleeding might make brakes too hard causing them too smoke and lock up. He advised me not too bleed until
I checked drums.

Being I do most of my own work ( or try ) he said take trailer home, take off wheels , check drums
He did state he hates drum brakes, best too replace with disk , expensive. So live with what I got.

I took off only one wheel, ( one of the wheels that was hot)
Surprise, The pads were new, which means after install years ago they were never working ,
I am assuming getting very hot too touch drums are binding too drums, ?
I have not gotten too the other wheels yet

I live in Fl and have soft sand were I park trailer.
Seems when I start too go I always thought one of the wheels were locking causing at times wheel too dig into sand.
At times I dug into sand like in snow, wheels dig into soft sand, I have 4/4 and ususally able too get out .
I since put rocks in area were rear wheels are, this way it does not dig into sand. Seem too help
Boat is tight next too a fence and not easy seen only from side mirrors. Seems once I get going its fine.

I assume all issues are related, and once fixed all wheel related issues will go away.

Finally my question

I see on line Titan 60 models bleeding is done with chains not as easy as sticking a screw driver into unit and pump away ?
I tried using chains, and a royal pain .very slow process, push in with 2/4 push out with a bar,
Is there any other way , faster so I can hear the unit pumping away , get fluids pumping and then get the extra set of hands too finish the job

Sould I loosen drum so its not tight when installing drum and then tighten so it just slowly slows down wheel
How does one know if drums are working on all wheels ?

Do I work one side at a time, removing 2 wheels, and pumping away, but how can one easily pump away on this Titan?

thank ya

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Need some advice regarding multiple issues on my ez loader surge brake system

Wow, that was a mouthful.:faint2: You can actuate your model 60 with a big screwdriver in the hole just like you did on your other actuator. As for your issue, it sounds like you're saying the brakes are seizing? If so, I'd start by bleeding, then adjusting. One thing to note; the free backing brakes that go with that actuator will engage slightly when backing up and take a little time to release. I went nuts trying to diagnose mine until I finally read the manual for the 78th time and discovered this little tidbit. Good luck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some advice regarding multiple issues on my ez loader surge brake system

When you put on your titan actuator, it sounds like you didn't bleed it at all so that is why the brakes still didn't work.

When you installed your new drum brakes years ago, did you properly adjust the shoes so they weren't dragging or just slightly dragging? Did you mount them in the correct direction. There is a right and left.

The wheel cylinders on your "new" drum brakes may actually already be bad. Doesn't take long for the wheel cylinders to corrode if you use your trailer in salt water.

When you get all done with your bleeding and adjusting, jack up each wheel and spin the tire while someone actuates the coupler and make sure the brakes stop it from spinning.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yep. Bruce can tell you all about my Titan model 60 comedy of errors.:facepalm: Learned a lot though.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

All master cylinders should be bench bled before installation.
(was there a fitting that screwed into the output port with a small *** on it?)

Then it comes down to a two man show to make life easy, keep the resevoir filled and keep pumping the actuater till oil/fluid appears out the bleeder/bleeders, close them, pump, hold, release the air, close. (two man job for ease)
One side at a time.
Repeat till there is no more air.

Adjust star wheel/adjuster till the shoes barely fit into the drum, back off adjuster as per MFGs suggestion.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I upgraded to electric brakes, so I never have to deal with bleeding, but when I had surge brakes, I used to bleed with a mity-vac. It is very easy and makes bleeding a one-person job. Just used it yesterday to replace the brake fluid in my tow vehicle. They are a great investment. A pressure bleeder is even easier to use, but typically cost more and require that you have the correct cap for the reservoir. A vacuum bleeder works on any hydraulic brake system.

My self-adjusting electric drum brakes seem to adjust until the shoes barely scrape the drums when cold. I would adjust your shoes the same.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I had a mity-vac and will never use it again. Too many bleeders leak around the threads for them to work properly.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I had a mity-vac and will never use it again. Too many bleeders leak around the threads for them to work properly.

You can put Teflon tape on the bleeder threads if the bubbles bother you, but it's not necessary, they work perfectly either way. I've successfully bled dozens of brakes and clutches with mine.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Build a pressure bleeder!!! Google homemade pressure bleeder. Built mine for $20. Bleeding my brakes takes 10 minutes. I don't know why people screw around pumping the actuator with screwdrivers. Pressure bleeder will do a MUCH better job.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Build a pressure bleeder!!! Google homemade pressure bleeder. Built mine for $20. Bleeding my brakes takes 10 minutes. I don't know why people screw around pumping the actuator with screwdrivers. Pressure bleeder will do a MUCH better job.

Well look who the cat dragged in! Must have heard me mention Titan model 60!:laugh: