1974 Mercuy 1150 Upper Swivel Mount Bolt Removal?

nature1100

Seaman Apprentice
I want to remove the swivel pin on my 1974 Mercury 1150 to clean it because it was frozen. It is moving now, but still a little stiff. I want to paint the lower cowl anyways so getting this far wasn't that bad. I have the powerhead and the lower unit removed, but ran into a snag trying to split the exhaust extension plate and the driveshaft housing. I have the 2 bolts on the top removed, but I cannot get them seperated. Any suggestions??

Here is a pic of what I have. The red line is where I want to split it and the red circle is around the bolts I want to remove to get the swivel pin out.
IMG_8544_zpsbe939ff0.jpg

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1974 Mercuy 1150 Upper Swivel Mount Bolt Removal?

Do you have the two front bolts/screws undone, seen in this link, item 8:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - EXHAUST EXTENSION PLATE - MERC 1150

As well, look under the large rubber seal where it is vertical and see if the retainer is one piece as if it is, you will have to remove those screws as the retainer ties the pieces above and below your red line together.

The two nuts for the bolts you want to remove are buried in the upper rubber mounts which you can see looking down inside the leg.

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you have the bolts out of the exhaust extension, ( I thought only one bolt was present)it should seperate. Since the rubber mounts are a tight fit in the exhaust extension casting, the corrosion may be holding them together.

The upper mounting bolts should be 6"X 7/16" fine thread, grade 8. They are a bit difficult to get ahold of.

nature1100

Seaman Apprentice

Did end up getting this split. Had both bolts and the rubber seal off the joint. Had an idea and used to bolts and nuts in the front 2 powerhead bolt holes and used them as "jack" bolts. When I held the nut and screwed the bolt in it pryed the 2 halves apart. So it was only the gasket holding it on.
IMG_8548_zps3924998f.jpg

IMG_8553_zpsea3fb808.jpg

Also got the swivel pin out and there was a lot of corrosion on the upper part of the pin. Just surface rust and a little pitting. I have sanded it and cleaned the bore and pin completly and now it is back together. I can't believe the difference.
IMG_8558_zps95c57358.jpg

Thanks for the help.