what water temp will my boat be ok in?

masongardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well,i have may slip all payed for but am unsure about getting my boat in the water because of the nightly low temps. The highs are around 60? or so during the day but getting into the high 20's or low 30's at night. Should I just wait a couple more weeks or will I be safe from the dreaded block freeze? water temp is 36? right now btw.

thanks!

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what water temp will my boat be ok in?

if its paid for id wait but i dont see y u couldnt put it in !!!!

Bondo

Staff member

well,i have may slip all payed for but am unsure about getting my boat in the water because of the nightly low temps. The highs are around 60? or so during the day but getting into the high 20's or low 30's at night. Should I just wait a couple more weeks or will I be safe from the dreaded block freeze? water temp is 36? right now btw.

thanks!

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin' the motor won't freeze, unless the water 'round the boat is freezin'....

If in doubt, Drain the motor, 'n manifolds....

agallant80

Commander

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin' the motor won't freeze, unless the water 'round the boat is freezin'....

If in doubt, Drain the motor, 'n manifolds....
Yup the water temp this time of year will always be higher then the air temp.

masongardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yup the water temp this time of year will always be higher then the air temp.

someone told me, tell me if its true or not, but if the outdrive is in the above freezing water the water in the block wont freeze?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Mine has been in the water and on the slip for 6 weeks and yes it has dropped below 32 several times and being as I have a OB it dosnt hurt a thing, in fact a lot of boats at my marina are there year round with no problems.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

not enough information. what kind of motor? outboard, no problem. I/O I wouldn't know but the freezing/winterizing is one reason I won't own one.

But either way there's a big range in temps between what the weatherman sees at the airport and what goes on inside your motor. A dip down from a warm day can't matter. And boat in the water (if the water is above freezing) is much warmer than one on a trailer or lift.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Day temps in the 60's? You have nothing to worry about. There's not near enough time for the air around the engine, then the engine, then the water in the engine, to get cold enough to freeze before the outside air temp is all warmed up again.

masongardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for all the replies. it is an i/o, sounds like i should be ok.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for all the replies. it is an i/o, sounds like i should be ok.

I used to just put a lite bulb in the engine compartment during the early spring days. What everyone is telling you above is correct too. If you have water and not ice around your boat, you should be just fine. The light bulb was just insurance in case it did go down into the twenties or something overnight.

masongardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used to just put a lite bulb in the engine compartment during the early spring days. What everyone is telling you above is correct too. If you have water and not ice around your boat, you should be just fine. The light bulb was just insurance in case it did go down into the twenties or something overnight.

good idea. sometimes i wish i had a power slip lol.