14 aluminum v...want to make flat deck on entire top.

whichyadidya

Recruit
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I just bought a 14 ft. old, aluminum v-hull boat with a 9.9 johnson tiller motor on it. The motor runs great aside from a loose tiller handle which I fixed. Anyways...this is my first boat and I know basically nothing at all about it. I just know I want to catch snook, trout, redfish and snapper whenever the mood may strike me...that being said I have been looking around the forums here and I have yet to see someone put a flat deck on the entire top of an aluminum boat. I was thinking about using some balsa wood support blocks underneath some really really thin plywood. On top of that a couple layers of fiberglass. Then epoxy that right to the top of the boat. Basically just a deck. Obviously it would have all the little compartments built into it and stuff. But. Is this a bad idea or? I can't really think of a better way to explain it. I would stop the deck right in front of where I would normally be sitting to control the motor...so from that first bench up it would be all flat. Like a really expensive fiberglass flats boat. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 14 aluminum v...want to make flat deck on entire top.

Sounds really tippy.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Take her out, put on your Life Vest and stand up on the middle seat, and move around a bit. Then think about being 6" higher up. How wide is your boat @ it's widest point? Also, try stepping on the edge of the boat in the middle. I think you'll see what EZ is getting at.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Never thought of that ^^^^:D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

...and I have yet to see someone put a flat deck on the entire top of an aluminum boat.

I think there might be a reason for that; Good wisdom from the above folks (who know their stuff): I too fear that your gonna roll with that set-up.

Post up some pictures of your boat and maybe some of the members can suggest some less extensive mods that would improve your fishing experience without putting you in the drink.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Which. Welcome to iboats. I'm not sure I'd cap the whole thing, but you can probably add a casting deck fore and aft. I converted my old '59 aluminum, semi v-hull runabout/skiboat to a tiller drive, flats skiff thingy and it works well. I can stand at the bow and fish with no problems all day. You can get a rough idea of the set up from my avatar and signature pics.

whichyadidya

Recruit

Thank you all very much for the answers. Much appreciated. I guess I didn't really think of the tipping issue. It's not incredibly skinny but it is a bit wobbly. I figured by adding weight throughout the boat and topping it the opposite effect would occur. I guess I will be looking at building a small casting deck and poling platform instead. I will take some pics and keep everyone updated. Thanks again.

whichyadidya

Recruit

Thank you all very much for the answers. Much appreciated. I guess I didn't really think of the tipping issue. It's not incredibly skinny but it is a bit wobbly. I figured by adding weight throughout the boat and topping it the opposite effect would occur. I guess I will be looking at building a small casting deck and poling platform instead. I will take some pics and keep everyone updated. Thanks again.

I haven't been able to figure out how to post pics

ryawrigh

Cadet

Could you send me some pics of how your tiller setup is? My boat had a cable pully steering system and now has an aluminum bar loosley bolyed to the engin making it a tiller steer with the throtle body aquardly placed on the side of the boat.

ryawrigh

Cadet

Hi Which. Welcome to iboats. I'm not sure I'd cap the whole thing, but you can probably add a casting deck fore and aft. I converted my old '59 aluminum, semi v-hull runabout/skiboat to a tiller drive, flats skiff thingy and it works well. I can stand at the bow and fish with no problems all day. You can get a rough idea of the set up from my avatar and signature pics.

KFA4303,

Could you send me some pics of how your tiller setup is? My boat had a cable pully steering system and now has an aluminum bar loosley bolyed to the engin making it a tiller steer with the throtle body aquardly placed on the side of the boat.

Bondo

Staff member

KFA4303,

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Start a new thread of yer Own, 'bout Yer boat, 'n it's problems...

This thread is whichyadidya's, 'n not yer's...

fishrdan

Admiral

Low decking the boat (2-3" above the keel) will allow a flat platform across the boat, but also keep the center of gravity low, so it's not so tippy.

I have my 14' jon boat (36" wide) low decked and stand up in it all the time. I wouldn't suggest this for everyone as you need to have good balance,,, unless you like swimmin' as Bond-o put it...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The lower you can get the center of gravity (i.e. the boat platform or straight floor), the better. You could install a platform from one end of your boat to the other. But installed low in the "V" bottom boat and gain a more balanced setup and your casting platform at the same time. I also find the lower you sit (or stand) in any boat the better you can cast under limbs and over hanging brush with your lure/bait/plug/worm/whatever. When you get high you literally have to try and cast without getting hooked up in those things, but a lower setup allows you to get under some of that stuff where fish seriously like to hang out as well. If you really look at bass type boats they set very low in the water for such a reason...Casting from a high casting platform makes you cast down to the water instead of across the water... I know I’ve been trying to get use to my neighbor’s pontoon boat when I go with him and am forced to cast down to the water and can’t get to where I want to really cast. Also dock fishing is all but gone with that setup too... JMHO!