clarify the $100 boat paint job please!

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My info: i have a 86 bluefinn riveted aluminum that is a fishing machine. 90% freshwater. not moored. trailered.

I plan to roll it on unless someone tells me this will not be nearly as nice as spraying it. then i could buy a gun.....but i don't want to

Woodonglass in post #238 explains his $100 paint job.....http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1961-lonestar-flamingo-i-finally-started-w-pics-384982-3.html

so lets go through the steps and hopefully you folks can fill in blanks and tell me if i am missing anything:

1. For aluminum boats, Lightly acid wash the boat (lots of guys just use 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water)
?: do i need to do any prep before this? sand old paint job? what about old decals?

2. then use a Self Etching Primer (I like the SEM Primer shown below) on ALL bare aluminum spots.
?: i assume this is for areas that i did work on? like when i spot weld the transom holes?

3.sand with 180 grit.... ? wet sand? the whole boat? clean the mess off?

4. coat the entire boat with the Majic Oil Base Metal Primer. ? we don't have Tractor supply in WA....any other idea where to source this? how much for a 16ft. boat?

5. Use the Ultra Smooth Whizz Brand High Density 6" Foam Rollers. Two coats of Primer. Thin coats!! ? do i sand between coats?

6. Final sand with 180 grit and wipe down with acetone.
? so now we have an etched, primed and prepped boat correct?

7. Paint time! Formula:
2 cups Paint.... ?what paint? I am assuming: Majic Tractor, Truck, & Implement Enamel?
1/4 cup of Majic Reducer
1 oz of Hardener
?again where do i source this from? i guess i can do online.

8. Roll n' Roll Technique
Wet roller with paint and roll out about 4-6 sqare feet. Thin coats work best and help prevent runs. If you can HEAR the paint (Sticky Sound)you are rolling too long. Put the first roller in a Plastic bag and use another roller. wet it out but wring out almost all of the paint and then Re-roll the area you just painted. Use a very LIGHT stroke and the paint should lay down with NO Bubbles!. Put this roller in the bag and use the other roller again. Repeat this process untill the boat is painted. Always do the re-roll with a damp roller with very little paint in it and LISTEN. You will hear the sound that lets you know when it's time to stop. It's kind of a sticky sound.
Here's a link to 2 videos showing the technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MekW6..._order&list=UL

9. HINT: If you want a COLOR that you cannot find, then you can use Acrylic Artists OIL paint thinned with acetone from any Art supply store that you buy in tubes or use another color of the Majic Paint. This link...Color Wheel and Color Mixing - Enchanted Learning Software will tell you how to mix colors to get the color you're wanting. It's not to hard to do. Start with small amounts, keep track of the ratio and then multiply it to get the amounts you need. You can get ANY Color in the Rainbow and it works GREAT!! Note: Colors change when the paint drys so use a hairdryer to dry your samples quickly.

?I want candy apple red. so do get clear or white paint and add Acrylic Artists OIL paint? isn't acrylic and oil two different mediums? please explain.

?how many coats? how much paint? sand between coats? clean mess off with acetone?

10. anything else? no clear coat or anything?

thanks for the help!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: clarify the $100 boat paint job please!

Do you have Ace Hardware by you? If so the Rust Stop formula is rebranded Rustoleum, they will tint any color you want. I don't see much difference between the oil based Rusto and Majic. Must be oil based!

Roll and Roll works real good. I used 3-4 coats, maybe 5, I forget. I wet sanded between coats, not on the last though. Thin is the key, you don't want orange peel.

For primer the best is Zinc Chromate. It sticks to bare aluminum like nothing else. Wear a respirator, that stuff is nasty, as are the Isocyanates they put in hardener. Prior to the vinegar wash I used soap and water and scrubbed really good with a horse brush.

I found this thread very interesting;

I answered a couple of questions anyway. Good luck.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have read several places that the rusto is just as good ....im not sure what hardener to use though ??? im asuming majics ???maybe ace has a hardner just as good for the rusto ??? idk be interested to find out from what i understand u only need to thin it if ur spraying it correct me if im wrong ??? also i dont thinnk u need a clear coat with this becouse it comes out very shiny from what i read so thats a plus !!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Rustoleum's Pro Oil based Alkyd enamel works just as well. Finish 1 Hardener will work for the Hardener. Get it at Advanced Auto. Not all of their stores carry it. You can use their reducer too, or you can use a 50/50 mix of MS and Acetone. Roll n' Roll or Spray...Your Choice. I Sprayed. Candy Apple Red is a special mixed paint and cannot be acheived using Rustoleum. You don't need Clear coat. The Hardener will make the paint very shiny. Make SURE to let the Paint COOK for 30 mins after adding the hardener. Use a 3M pad to knock down the nubs between coats of primer and paint. Or Wet sand with 320 grit. I just use pints of different colors of paint to mix other colors now. 2 coats of Primer = 1 1/2 quarts 3-4 coats of paint = 2 quarts of paint. 1 Can of spray on SE primer Don't need much and only a light coat on bare spots. Since you are going over a pre-painted boat you might want to consider using a high build primer to help fill in scratches etc...

5695272803p
999bbb832285088b46ac615c73204252.jpg
19085.jpg

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

clean good - paint with aluminum filled MCU aluthane ($30 quart covers 100 sf) - will look like new aluminum boat. Enamel paint for any colors you want. This approach as restored lots of aluminum boats including a 1950s boat back to original sales ad look.

google aluthane

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i should have specified that i was thinking of doing gray with a red stripe. will this process work for this? or is it a single color application? might be better to do a vynal stripe? candy apple red is just a base line idea. looks like off to ace hardware to test out stuff!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

i should have specified that i was thinking of doing gray with a red stripe. will this process work for this? or is it a single color application? might be better to do a vynal stripe? candy apple red is just a base line idea. looks like off to ace hardware to test out stuff!!!

There is no such thing as a $100.00 paint job when considering the tools or materials ( or safety gear ) .

There is a such thing as a Cheap Paint job .. if thats what your asking ..

Though its not going to replicate a Pro job .. not in the least ..

Go for it or not ..

YD.

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no such thing as a $100.00 paint job when considering the tools or materials ( or safety gear ) .

There is a such thing as a Cheap Paint job .. if thats what your asking ..

Though its not going to replicate a Pro job .. not in the least ..

Go for it or not ..

YD.

thanks for the input but i am trying to figure out how your statement applies to the quoted text. I have no expectations it will be proffessional but my boat is 26 years old and i am pretty usre a rattle can would look better at this point.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

How is the red color as it relates to keeping the shine and brilliance? The only experience I've had with a red boat (gel-coat) was that it faded and was blotchy after it was exposed to the sun and elements for a few years. This was factory paint that had oxidized a bit, and we tried everything we knew of to bring back the luster, and it really didn't look that nice for the amount of buffing. Would you wax a painted boat using this method of re-painting on a glass boat? I would love to do red too, but maybe the vinyl stickers are the better way to add the stripe.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have no expectations it will be proffessional but my boat is 26 years old and i am pretty usre a rattle can would look better at this point.

I hear ya!

This...

P1060902.jpg

Gave me this..

P1060908-2.jpg

You can even see the ripple reflection in the hull here (dirty/dusty hull at that)...
P1070997.jpg

You don't need to be a pro or spend big money to get "good" results.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

thanks for the input but i am trying to figure out how your statement applies to the quoted text. I have no expectations it will be proffessional but my boat is 26 years old and i am pretty usre a rattle can would look better at this point.

Then have no expectations .. and a spray can will not Normally give you any kind of results that you even imagined.

Just saying .. 100 bucks will not give you anything other than a spray can job.

Dont expect much ..

YD.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I hear ya!

This...

P1060902.jpg

Gave me this..

P1060908-2.jpg

Well Big Golly Ol' Molly .. I stand here corrected !!

You sure showed me up :D .. .. there ya go mate .. just throw on a few cans of primer and some more coats of rattle cans of Rusto and your GOOD To go ..

Its possible to get this finish out of a rattle can . but .. LOL .. Not gonna happen.

YD.

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then have no expectations .. and a spray can will not Normally give you any kind of results that you even imagined.

Just saying .. 100 bucks will not give you anything other than a spray can job.

Dont expect much ..

YD.

so you and Woodonglass must disagree then?

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And Jas too I guess????:confused:

ok so i dont want this to get off topic. if you have concerns with the way i am going about this you can throw it in my face later when i come crying. i will work on an edited step process later and ask you all that have experience in the limited but proven Woodonglass's method of painting and any other tips in general to comment again.

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a 16ft. starcraft ss and painted it with a 4'' high density roller.i sanded it down with sand paper,or sanding blocks,washed it down with viniger and watermix. i primed mine with rustoleum aluminum primer and painted it with rustoleum top side paint.i put 2 coats on it and it looks fantastic. no runs or roller marks.i did'nt paint the bottom because everyone said you need to paint it with bottom paint. i contacted rustoleum and was told it only needs bottom paint if you leave it in the water. i trailor mine. the hardest part is removing the old decals. i painted a decal on after i finished the final coat. i did'nt want to buy decals. believe me,don't worry it will come out super.like mine it's a fishing boat.people who see it are amazed it was painted with a roller. i ain't no painter.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

cappell, you have PM...

Yah guys, all I'm suggesting is...

But, if you truly want "Professional" results you really need to have professional skills or hire a guy who does (big $$$).

With a small cash investment and some careful prep/finish work, the average backyard boat builder can come up with "good" results. Sometimes even "great" results!

Have fun:thumb:

bscappell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cappell, you have PM...

Yah guys, all I'm suggesting is...

But, if you truly want "Professional" results you really need to have professional skills or hire a guy who does (big $$$).

With a small cash investment and some careful prep/finish work, the average backyard boat builder can come up with "good" results. Sometimes even "great" results!

Have fun:thumb:

i agree. thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hmm, I'm confused. I thought this Forum was for DIY'ers wanting methods to do their own work and not wanting to have to Pay someone to do the work and try to save a buck. I seem to recall several threads where YD had referred members to my Paint thread for a valid method for painting their boat "On the Cheap". I guess he has now changed his mind now. Hmm... My Post Simply says Paint your boat for under $100 bucks. NO WHERE does it say or imply it will be a PRO job or will it yield PRO results. ( I think the results I got on the BF were very close to it and it seems to be holding up well and My 20 yr pro painter (he is one, I've seen his work) next door neighbor gave it his thumbs up). Earl Scheib I believe would be considered a pro (not by me) but most people consider his Paint jobs to be CHEAP!!!!)_ So as I've always said, Calling yourself a pro does NOT make you one. Experience and Results is what makes you one. IMHO. I've seen some pretty bad paint jobs done by so called PRO's. It IS true that IF you have to buy a compressor and spray guns and SandPaper and Solvents and Rags and Tape and Respirators and Plastic and ALL the other stuff required it WILL cost MORE than $100 bucks. Sooooo....my question is... should I change my post title to say Paint your boat for under $200 Bucks to cover the costs of all the other stuff or...just leave it alone and let the members figure it out on their own. Or maybe take it down and refer everyone to the PRO's to have them Paint their boats!!!;):rolleyes::D:eek: Man, a guy can't catch a break around here. Maybe I'll go to Lowe's and Harbor Freight and price all the materials it takes to do a Spray job or Roll n' Roll paint job "On the Cheap" so everyone can know EXACTLY what it's gunna cost them to paint their boat. Oh wait, then I'd have to know the exact amount of sq ft they were going to paint, how much they were going to thin the paint, and what if they spilled some, and oh, what if they decided to put on an extra coat or 2. Man this is getting to complicated for this Old Okie. I'm gunna just leave it to the PRO's.

By the Way Jas. Your finish on your Boat Looks PRO to me. But... I am 62 and my eyes don't see as good as they used too!!!!:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Jas used special high flow rattle cans that Rusto makes to do his awesome black paint job. TRUST ME that you don't want to attempt that with regular cans. I did it and the finish was horrid and used so many cans that I think I could have paid someone to paint it for me for cheaper. My second boat I painted with the foam roller method and it came out awesome.