Tiller handle

17ft'r

Seaman
I have a 1963 18hp Johnson outboard. I resurrected it after 12 yrs of shed time and wow;) after some minor rebuilding and a lot of help from this forum:) its starts. The situation is that the (tiller) handle is (sluggish) in movement.:grumpy:
There is no (full motion) if you will of the handle. I'm getting (some) "throttle) action, but I thinking (lake side) its not going to get the job done.....................so I'm wondering is there an (adjustment) to be made without taking it apart?

Thanks for anything that resembles advice,:D

17ft'r

64osby

Admiral
Re: Tiller handle

It sounds like old grease and maybe dirt have gummed the handle up or the magneto plate is rubbing or tight. Separate the clip at the top of the shift rod and see if its the handle or the magneto.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Like mentioned."It sounds like old grease and maybe dirt have gummed the handle up or the magneto plate is rubbing or tight." I would start by disassembling the tiller handle and clean all the old crud off it. Use a light grease on the wear points and reassemble tiller. If that doesn't do it then its on to the flywheel/mag plate. Flywheel WILL come off but be patient. Use some type of penetrating oil and wheel puller made for the job. No ruge Goldberg on the flywheel. You will need a flywheel hold tool to re-torque. (100-105 ft lbs.) Something like the one in the picture.

flywheel holder.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

As noted above, undo the throttle arm at the point where it attaches to the horizontal arm that runs to the mag plate. If the throttle handle then moves smoothly and easily, you'll know it's an issue with the mag plate.

If it is the handle, remove the grip (one screw), remove the spring from within, remove the spring cup (likely stuck inside the front of the handle), clean and lightly grease, particularly the tapered end of the cup as that is the part that rides in the handle.

With the grip removed, you should be able to slide the shaft out a bit (if you hold the handle vertically), enough to clean and grease near the bushing at the base of the handle. Pus the shaft back into place, taking care to align properly with the gear teeth on the horizontal shaft.

17ft'r

Seaman

Thanks for all the great answers. Your correct there is a lot of gummed up grease on the gears and when I do take it out of neutral there is much more movement, so thanks.

17ft'r