Intermittent beeping from Johnson 200 Ocean Runner

kingfink13

Recruit
Recently purchased a used 20' cc boat with a Johnson 200 Ocean Runner. We have taken it out a handful of times since we bought it. However, during the last time out, we had some intermittent beeping from the outboard. It occurred some when we got over 3000 rpms and was pretty consistent if we got over 4000 rpms. I think that it is most likely an oil issue, but, on the forum, I have also seen that it can be a fuel issue. There is a VRO on the motor. Also, since the purchase, we have replaced the fuel/water separator, in-line fuel filter, and the spark plugs. I have not changed out the lower oil yet, but I plan to very soon. Additionally, I have checked the oil reservoir and it is not low. We topped it off before we took it out for its first time out.

Appreciate any direction on this beeping.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Intermittent beeping from Johnson 200 Ocean Runner

kingfink13,
You will need to provide the year and model# to get more involved input from some of the members here.
This page from my OEM manual regarding a 98' J150 may be of some value in getting started.
Hope this helps,
OutOfControl

ps; I'll beat everyone to the punch and suggest you buy an OEM manual if you plan on keeping this motor. Remember OEM only.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if the early 200 Ocean Runners came with the system check gauge or not. If not, here are the warning horns and what they mean. Knowing exactly what you have will help people help you.

Overheat - continuous tone - temp sensors in the heads exceed max temp and short to ground and remain like that until temp falls to safe level
No Oil - continuous short pulses- VRO pump senses no oil flow
Low oil - short pulse every 40 seconds - level sensor in the oil tank senses low oil in the tank
Fuel restriction - continuous tone at or near full throttle - vacuum switch senses high vacuum. Fuel supply not keeping up with the demand. Vacuum switch is pulled closed shorting to ground.

What you described, sounds like a fuel restriction.
Your fuel lines and fittings from the gas tank to the engine should all be 3/8" check to see if the previous owner used 1/4".
If that looks good try hooking it up to small portable tank with the proper size connectors and fuel line and see if the horn still sounds at high RPMs.

kingfink13

Recruit

Thanks, OutOfControl. The Model # is J200TXEOC and it's a 1995.

Thanks, Greg_E. I will check the lines. I have not been able to find a system check gauge, but the beeping seems to be the gauge. I am hoping that it's something simple. I appreciate the help.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

kingfink13,
Adding to what Greg_E posted also note that a few of the fuel hoses were pre-molded by the OEM and someone may have replaced the fuel lines with bulk hose which formed a small kink restricting the fuel supply.
Here is the BRP site link which has good information and part diagrams.
OutOfControl

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Just to clarify: The alarm horn list that I posted is for an engine that does not have System Check. I don't know what year System check was implemented on the 200, but a 1995 may have it. If that is the case you need to use the link posted by OutOfControl. The list I posted would not apply.

I'm not familiar with the system check other than reading the page from the manual, but if you engine has a system check harness, but no gauge, the horn can only tell you that there is a problem, not what the problem is. Having said that, the fact that the horn sounds only at high rpms it could be a fuel line restriction.

OutOfControl makes a good point. There are two molded hose on the VRO that are 90 degree angles. If bulk hose was used to replace them they will probably kink. I have also read that if the silver colored ethanol resistant fuel line that is used now, has a clear plastic liner which can delaminate from the outer covering and will collapse where it bends. I think it was mercury fuel like, but I would suspect any of the gray fuel line until someone can prove to me that their brand won't do it.