Help w angle Gluvit can be applied.

terrysandlin

Seaman
How much of an angle can a seam be when using Gluvit in an aluminum boat? After rebucking some rivets, I will be applying Gluvit to the seams of my Lonestar 14 ft 4 in Commadore. The transom looks OK. I do have some leaks around the transom, so I will go ahead and hit the other seams. This is my first boat repair. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry "Sandlin

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help w angle Gluvit can be applied.

Part of this probably depends on the temps you are working in... Gluvit is a 2-part epoxy so it cures faster in warmer temps...

I'm not sure if there is a precise rule of thumb in terms of tolerance for vertical surfaces... It will definitely try and run on you a little bit if you are on a steep angle...

If the rivets are going to be under the deck are otherwise covered, I would just glob it on there and not sweat the aesthetics too much if you get a run or there...

If the rivet is in a visible space and near the water line, you can still hit it, but I would dab it on there in small doses...

You can always sand off some runs or sags if you end up with a cosmetic issue...

Just my .02....

64osby

Admiral

I applied Gluvit in 3 phases, tilting the boat towards port, starboard and the stern. The seams were open wide at points and I wanted to make sure the Gluvit seeped in to the seams. I still ended up pulling it back to the seams as the product cured. I applied a very thick coat.

Here is my high tech method of tilting my Lone Star 14' Big Fisherman.

LSGluvit.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Excellent response above ^^^^ Tip the boat and do the Gluvit in multiple applications ;)

Be forewarned - the Gluvit WILL creep so if you stay with it you can touch it up towds the seams as it's setting up.

Have fun. Gluvit is excellent stuff to use.

terrysandlin

Seaman

Thanks for the advice. Are there some situations in which 3M 5200 is more appropriate than Gluvit? I have Gluvit, but am also wondering if some 3M 5200 would be good to have on hand.

Should I wait for the Gluvit to cure before tilting the boat in another direction?

Thanks for you help.
Terry Sandlin

64osby

Admiral

5200 is for sealing things like bolts, hull fitting and replacement rivets.

I waited several hours in 80+ degree weather before tipping the boat the other way. I still had areas that were not cured, they bulged and ran a little. But as I said before I put mine on really thick.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

With any Epoxy product, due to the slow cure times. there's a LOT of "Baby Sitting" involved. I'd Recommend multiple tilts at different angles with full cure times if you want to ensure good adhesion and full penetration of the product. It will take some time to do it right, but if you do the boat will be sealed and will last a long time. JMO:)