will a newer style gimbal bearing with shorter inner race work in older alhpa gen 2

milestan

Cadet
Hi:
1997 Alhpa Gen 2 serial# 0K162382

I just purchased a mercruiser bellows kit (part# 30-803099T1) which came with a new (ungreasable) gimbal bearing. My existing bearing is in average condition, its not bad, but starting to get slightly loose. I figured that I would change it as preventative maintenance.

The kit came with the newer style bearing (part# 30-879194A01) where the inner race is a little shorter on the aft side of the bearing. I believe this is to accommodate some of the bigger u-joints on bravo drives. Also, from what I found, the apha Gen 2, starting with 1998, all take this newer style bearing with the shorter inner race. My 1997, per mercs parts manual, takes the bearing where the inner race sticks out the same distance on both sides of the outer race (part# 30-803099T2).

Since the new bearing will work in a 1998 gen 2, shouldn't I be ok to use it in my 1997? The kit that I bought said that it was good for gen 2s and it didn't state that there was any difference in older gen 2s vs. newer ones. And, I don't believe that merc offers a bellows kit for the gen 2 with the longer raced bearing.

I'd prefer to change the bearing now that I've got everything torn apart, but I don't want to put in a bearing that might create a problem. Has anyone come across this or has anyone used a bearing with the shorter race in an older gen 2(1997 and before)?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: will a newer style gimbal bearing with shorter inner race work in older alhpa gen

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... That bearin' will work in Any of the Alpha, 'n Bravo series,...

It'll also work with Any of the MC-1s, Rs, 'n MRs....
It'll also work in alota OMCs, 'n Volvos...

Not alota differences in gimbel bearin's....

milestan

Cadet
Re: will a newer style gimbal bearing with shorter inner race work in older alhpa gen

Thanks for the quick responce. I was pretty sure it would be ok, but a bit nervous about taking out a bearing that is still decent and replacing it with not quite the right part. I was going to check and make sure that the driveshaft seals would seat within the bearing, but being that the new race is only .090 shorter, I didn't think it would be a problem.

Again, thanks for the quick responce.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the quick responce. I was pretty sure it would be ok, but a bit nervous about taking out a bearing that is still decent and replacing it with not quite the right part. I was going to check and make sure that the driveshaft seals would seat within the bearing, but being that the new race is only .090 shorter, I didn't think it would be a problem.

Again, thanks for the quick responce.

Ayuh,... ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The cutdown bearings are for diesel engines that have larger yokes and ujoints. With the cutdown area, there is the possibility the bearing could back out of place that small amount

milestan

Cadet

Don:
I suppose that it could back out. But I had an idea, what if I install the bearing backwards with the cutout slots facing aft. That way, the back side of the inner race would be in the same position as the correct bearing. Are you aware of any issues with installing the bearing backwards? Do you think merc says to install with the cutouts facing forward to prevent people from only replacing the inner race, or is there another reason why it couldn't be installed backwards?