What is worst case scenario buying old pontoon boat?

Winats2

Cadet
The thing seems initially relatively inexpensive at under $4000 but is a 1982 24' boat with some damage:

A third of the carpet is missing, so I plan to remove it all and maybe paint the deck with some sand or something for grip.

The furniture is gone.

The lights may or may not be present.

The 65hp motor runs, but idles rough, so, I think, needs a tune up.

The seller says the deck is solid, but he hasn't checked for welds attaching the pontoons to the frame under the deck having become brittle over the years.

Current owner runs a fishing camp and would rent this out to groups to fish. He says he is selling because of storm damage. There is a missing gate and a couple of dents in the fencing.

The console is present and he says it starts right up.

I don't plan on replacing the furniture. Just to add a few chairs at the corners for fishing, probably a bimini top, and maybe some kind of portqble tent system for sleeping on it. Also a GPS/fish finder/depth finder thing and rig things to hold the fishing gear and maybe a live well.

Doesn't seem like there is much to go wrong on these boats, but I've never owned a boat and don't know much about them.

If the metal structure under the deck is solid and the deck is solid, all that can go wrong is the electrical and the pontoons leaking, I think.

The former can be rewired. The latter can be welded if my research is correct. So, it looks to me like my risk of additional expense even in a worst case scenario should be under a thousand dollars. Does this seem correct based on your experience and knowledge?

I realize getting a new bunk trailer for the thing is going to cost about $3,000.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is worst case scenario buying old pontoon boat?

I have to be honest and say that it is way over priced. You can do much better than that, look around for awhile. I don't see him selling that boat anytime soon.

Winats2

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Rather than look over an extended period, I looked in several places over a short period. There are cheaper ones, also in disrepair, on the for sale section of this site, mostly being sold by a yard in Georgia. But by the time I get one up to Canada there isn't much difference in price and the seller sounds honest. The guys in Georgia did too, the distance and different labelling and maybe construction requirements between the jurisdictions seem relevant to me.

Under $4000 is the asking price. That might not be the selling price.

Also, even if I buy one from another seller, the same concern would remain: I don't know the worst case scenario for after purchase repair costs.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

A 1982 boat on a trailer In good shape with a running motor around here is 1500, 4000 is crazy high.

Winats2

Cadet

Wow!

Obviously my research approach is flawed. Thanks for the info you guys! Around here I'm told is very hard to find a pontoon trailer, except new ones. Seems most buyers put theirs in the water at our lakes and leave them there, pull them out for the winter and put them back in in the spring, but don't tow them around much.

You mean for a largish pontoon boat, right?

And love your rebuild thread. I'll show it to my kid, the family's fisherman. The four rods off the chairs on the back corners and the live well look great. As does the boat.

sasto

Captain

In my opinion....she is worth what the motor is worth.

Winats2

Cadet

Ok, so if this particular seller pays me to haul the boat and motor away, or I find a better alternative :)

(Looks like this forum just saved us a few thousand dollars and from our own enthusiasm.)

Before I searched only in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and the provinces on either side of mine, and this iboats database. Now I've searched farther away and you are right, there do seem to be much better values out there. Hadn't expected a geographic difference.

But back to the question about what I would be getting myself into when I do find a boat that appears well priced and appears to be in decent shape, and then turns out not to be:

What sort of repair expenses are possible for one of these boats, in a worse case scenario?

Are there things I didn't anticipate in my first post?

If a new pontoon has to be welded to the frame, any idea what an aluminum welder would charge for such a job?

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

You are correct in stating the limited amount of things to go bad on a pontoon boat as compared to say a Fiberglass or wood v hull. The main concerns are the pontoons, floor, and motor. If you don't care about furniture it is no applicable. Pontoons (logs) are not cheap. I believe they would be bolted on in some cases and welded in others. The floor is a large undertaking but not all that hard. The motor is a large expense to replace. A rough idle might just be a dirty carburetor but could be something much more. Before you buy a boat have it checked out by someone that knows them. Understanding that you don't.
As a point of reference in Florida, I paid 3600 for a 1999 18 pontoon with a 2006 40 hp Honda motor. It is in fine condition. No leaks, full camper canvas and more. So your the one your discussing is in fact out of line price wise. Keep looking.

lakegeorge

Ok, so if this particular seller pays me to haul the boat and motor away, or I find a better alternative :)

(Looks like this forum just saved us a few thousand dollars and from our own enthusiasm.)

Before I searched only in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and the provinces on either side of mine, and this iboats database. Now I've searched farther away and you are right, there do seem to be much better values out there. Hadn't expected a geographic difference.

But back to the question about what I would be getting myself into when I do find a boat that appears well priced and appears to be in decent shape, and then turns out not to be:

What sort of repair expenses are possible for one of these boats, in a worse case scenario?

Are there things I didn't anticipate in my first post?

If a new pontoon has to be welded to the frame, any idea what an aluminum welder would charge for such a job?

Pontoon boats, as a whole are pretty bullet proof. If it's in decent shape when you buy it then I wouldn't worry about problems.
Go to Traderonline and look there, it's a great place to find boats.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would think cracked or corroded leaky toons would be worst case scenario.

Winats2

Cadet

Thanks everyone.

If an interesting boat is 6 or 10 hours drive away, and since I don't have any experience with boats anyway, if I retain a qualified marine surveyor near the boat to do a pre-purchase inspection, could I expect them to pressure test the pontoons to see if they hold air and and don't leak?

rogerwa

Commander

Not sure where your located, but here is one in MN with no trailer. Offer the guy $2500 and bring a new trailer and you are right at your $4400 for the one you quoted and I think is a much better deal. In MN there are toons out there frequently inthe range you are speaking of without have to do things like weld new toons on it.

1986 Leisure Island 24ft

Winats2

Cadet

Thanks for the lead!

Don't know how I missed it. I looked at Minnesota again last night and didn't see it then either, yet it says it was posted on the 18th. :confused:

Thanks again!

WaterDR

I am in the TC's area where toons are priced high and paying $4k for that one seems like a lot. I would think it is only worth what the motor and trailer is worth, so prob under $2k. Just too much to go wrong and not know what you are dealing with until it might be too late.

If you were a friend, I would tell you to pass and find a newer one in much better condition and spend more.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Items that add up on Pontoons, IMO.

a) redeck.

b) underpowered motor for the activities you want to do. Repowering is expensive. Your 65HP is ok for cruising. No watersports though.

c) any major motor repairs. It may start and idle, but that is tip of iceburg. Check compression and water flow. If those turn out bad, you get into cases where the motor is junk. I just looked at a Craiglist motor yesterday that was "in perfect running condition". It started and idled. But one cylinder has very low compression and needs expensive work. The motor problem won't show at idle -- it will show at 5000 RPM ! !!

d) ratty trailers. Tires, bearing, spindles, bunk boards, winches, couplers, wires -- individually those are inexpensive items, but add up together. My last two boats had ratty trailers that I underestimated... No fun working on a trailer when I could be boating. My current pontoon doesn't have a trailer, and I'm considering just buying a $3000 new one and be done with it.

A few months ago I bought a old used 29' pontoon. The goods - 29', upper sundeck, 2 yr old redeck, and nice camper enclosure. The bads -- it had a 60 HP motor and my kids want to tube and kneeboard. So I'm doing a engine re-power driving all over looking for used outboard.

In mid Ohio - that 4k is too much. $2800-$3500.

You also asked about your risk is $1000. Probably about right.

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like others have said, good choice on moving on from that one. I paid $3100 for my 1997 24 footer with a 40hp mercury. Carpet was getting bad, but all the furniture was in good shape. Bought it last summer, used it as is, then I just finished putting new carpet on it for $400, did the work myself. Boat now looks new and im only $3500 into it.......well, maybe a little more after I started adding goodies to it!! lol

Jeep Man

Commander

Got to be better than that around. Older pontoon boats have smaller diameter toons which gives it less load capability and lower max. hp rating. Look for one with 23" pontoons or larger. Used pontoon trailers are as rare as hen's teeth. It alone is worth $1k at a minimum, up to $1500. Keep looking. Your boat is out there. Just be prepared to drive a bit further to get it.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think leaky pontoons are the worst cast scenerio...nothing worse that a boat that doesn't float. If your not concerned about furniture, get one that's been sitting uncovered a few years older with ruined furniture. They make the boat hook horrible and can probably get a deal. Pontoon decks are not hard, probably can do one in a weekend and you know you have a solid platform then. Depends on how much work you want to do. $4,000 sounds like it's 4-times too high!!
Check craigslist to find some deals, but as we get closer to warmer weather prices creep up on boats...fall and winter is normally the best time to buy for a deal.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Every time I come across this titled posting, I can imagine some awful "Worst Case Scenarios" myself. I understand what the OP is really asking about, but “Worst Case” can get the imagination going as well. I mean I can think of tons of things that would be possible but truly not probable... I mean that boat could have sit close to a radioactive dump site and is totally contaminated. There could be dead people sealed up in the pontoon floats from a mafia war lord group...oh, the Worst Cases are endless...

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Have you tried ebay. com under pontoon boats.