no spark in 3 cylinder of a V6,and opposite sides

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
is it possible to pin down a source of a no spark if it is only happening in some of the cylinders. put another way can i assume its a coil and not a power pack or another electrical component( not good with electrical stuff). i looked at a 1994 200 hp ocean runner today...90-95 psi on a cold motor that hasnt been run in at least 8 months. but there was no spark in one cylinder on one side, and no spark in 2 cylinders on the other side. Plus one spark was weak that did work....

no corrosion motor, but poor paint and a jittery TNT unit....so have to gaige what kind of repair I might run into before i can make an offer...as i cant run the motor prior to purchasing.( and obviously it wont run with no spark in three holes)

what are the POSSIBILITIES for this condition of no spark?

this motor is not an OIS motor and is a 90 degree looper, with a coil for each cylinder

thanks

bob

JDusza

Ensign
Re: no spark in 3 cylinder of a V6,and opposite sides

Hey, Bob,
This could get tricky, but, the rewards are great. You have the opportunity to become an ignition pro! First, let me say CDI has great trouble-shooting guide; cdielectronics.com
Unfortunately, this has to be trouble-shot methodically and may require the use of a DVA on your multi-meter.
Swap plug wires, coils and coil inputs to see if the problems move with those components. Problems with coil inputs can be from the power pack, the stator or, maybe, the timer base.
If this has been underwater, you may have stator trouble.....
Start with swapping coils or coil inputs and let us know.
J

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree +1 with the above.............

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I didn't buy the rig yet. I only wanted the rig for the motor..... its still cold and its outside and it is at the owners old address, so he has to meet me there each time id go to look at the motor. I was just trying to get a rough idea of what it might cost to fix the electrical issues...with the motor looking clean, and the oil tank still in use and the compression as good as it is, I am thinking id like this motor in a certain price break.....just dont know what the worst case scenario is for this no spark issue.Id add.... that the battery didn't sound real strong...he carried it to the boat and we hooked it up to crank the motor over...it sounds like it might be right at the border line of turning enough rpm to even make spark.......that possibility is eating at me as well.......two of the sparks only jumped about 3/8th an inch...only one cylinder would jump 7/16ths" I know the only other issue I can see is that the primer solenoid doesn't click when the key is pushed in...and the throttle linkage doesn't bottom out from the control lever, although it does by hand....hope to hear from you guys one more time... I have a few manuals but they are 60 degree looper models that I think have a coil for two cylinders and the optical eye...so I doubt the troubleshooting from that manual would do me much good. I do have a DVA adapter... I got it , and a whole bunch of OMC tools from a retired mechanic .........bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As mentioned above, go to cdielectronics.com for ign trouble shooting.

JDusza

Ensign

Find out if this thing has been underwater!!!
Tough call on cost, but, I'll try.
Coils are about $30 each.
Stator is about $350.
Timer base is about $350.
Power pack is about $280.
Good battery is absolutely necessary, can't have any doubt here. $80-ish.
I'll propose you're looking at $600, tops.
If you have a DVA and peak hold on your meter, along with CDI, you're on your way.
Lube the cylinders before you do anymore cranking; must be dry in there.
Check throttle control box and anything similar for evidence of snacking mice.
Keep us posted.
J